Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: So many choices  (Read 1638 times)

Offline Charlie

• TMA Forum Member
So many choices
« on: March 05, 2014, 09:58:01 AM »
I am in need of advise I have never shot flintlock seriously. I am getting back into rendezvous having moved to Nebraska smack in the middle of it.
I am currently shooting a Lyman GPH percussion. Shot my first deer in 40 years with it this year.
I have my family history from 1709 west camp NY up the Valley to the Mohawk in 1711-13 and far beyond.
I also have a news clipping from 1908 doing an interview of a 2nd grt aunt who remembered her brothers marching off to the war of 1812. She grew up around the Indians in upstate NY as her Father was a trader.

I need a decent entry level Flintlock to learn with. I will though be looking for a handcrafted flinter down the road.
I do love the look of the Jaeger rifles butt I need a smoothie to hunt dove with.

Any and all sage advice appreciated

I didn't know any of the family stuff before lol, I need to watch drums along the Mohawk again.

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
Re: So many choices
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 12:01:00 PM »
The Pedersoli/Cabelas Blue Ridge is a respected choice as is the T/C Hawken.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 01:27:33 PM »
Quote from: "Charlie"
I need a decent entry level Flintlock to learn with.
That would probably be a Pedersoli "Blue Ridge rifle" as suggested by Hanshi,.... although if you keep an eye on the "Trade Blanket", sometimes a nice custom rifle will show up for practically the same price as something "off the shelf".  :rt th
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Charlie

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 02:24:23 PM »
I will check the blueridge out, and I am of a mind leaning toward a custom gun. Get good quality to start makes the learning better.
 Thanks for the advise.

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 03:33:42 PM »
Quote from: "Charlie"
I will check the blueridge out, and I am of a mind leaning toward a custom gun. Get good quality to start makes the learning better.
 Thanks for the advise.
Getting a custom gun with good quality barrel, lock, and trigger/s, can also save you money in the long run.  :rt th
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 07:49:15 PM »
yep , watch for a good  used custom or semi custom . you will be alot happier with it in the long run

Offline Charlie

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 08:21:00 AM »
Thanks for the comments, the more I look at some of the custom guns I see where I am going to look. I want a piece of art along with a functioning tool.

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #20
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 10:58:02 AM »
:hairy
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 05:32:42 PM »
You got it bad.  :hairy

Offline Charlie

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 07:13:18 PM »
Oh I do, I most assuredly do. It is a relapse from many years ago. The second round is worse cuz I can afford to spend my kids inheritance  :rotf

Offline Muley

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 11:46:06 PM »
Keep your kids off this forum.   :bl th up
Pete
TMA Member #655
Expires Dec 2017
Keep your nose in the wind.

Offline Stormrider51

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Contributing Member.
  • TMA Member: Membership #632 Expiration date, 02/05/2020
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 11:13:57 AM »
Welcome to the flintlock!  After a while you may wonder why you ever bothered with anything else.  You could also end up wondering why you ever tried one of the infernal things.  Several factors go into determining which experience you will have.  A properly built, loaded, and maintained flinter will have an ignition time so quick you can't tell it from a percussion.  An improperly built, loaded, and maintained one will misfire, hang-fire, and generally drive you to the point where you want to wrap the barrel around a tree.  That destructive urge can become almost overpowering if you have just squeezed the trigger on a nice deer and gotten a "clack" instead of a "BOOM!"  So lets take a brief look at each of the above factors.

Let's start with "properly built".  This is where I add my vote to getting a custom gun.  A custom builder has his name and reputation on the line every time he turns out a gun.  The frizzen will be hardened properly.  The lock will be tuned.  The barrel vent (channel from pan to main charge) will be in the correct "sunset position".  The pan will mate solidly to the side of the barrel.  No gap to allow the priming to dribble down inside the lock.  Metal to metal and wood to metal fit will be done right.  Yes, there are manufacturers like Pedersoli who do a good job on all of the above but your gun will look exactly like thousands of others and the price of a Pedersoli is often as much or more as a custom would have cost, especially a used custom.

That takes care of the "properly built".  It's all about the gun.  The last two factors are about you.  I think of myself as a "Servant of the Gun".  "Properly loaded".  With a percussion you pop a couple of caps before loading for the first time that day.  Right?  Why?  To be sure the flash channel is open.  Get used to the idea that you will need to make sure the vent channel on your flintlock is open for every shot.  I've heard people say different but taking a second to pick the vent will pay off in reliability.  So will taking a moment to wipe the underside of the flint and the surface of the frizzen.  A friend of mine calls having a black index finger a "flintlock finger".  Actually, I cheat and keep a rag tucked in my belt.  However you do it, wiping the fouling away will increase reliability.  It also gives you a chance to see that your flint is still sharp for every shot.  More reliability.  When you install a new flint, fire a couple of shots and then check to see that the jaws are still holding the flint tightly.  Many years ago I was demonstrating the loading of a flintlock to an attractive young lady at a shooting range.  I had changed the flint a few shots before.  I confidently brought the rifle to my shoulder, came to full cock, and squeezed the trigger.  I saw something fall away from the rifle at almost the same moment that I heard the flat "clack".  She said "Your rock fell out."  So did my chances of getting a date.  

I'm going to hit "properly maintained" very lightly as I'm sure you are already familiar with the subject.  There's nothing special about cleaning a flinter that I can think of.  In spite of all the wonder cleaners on the market I still use hot soapy water for cleaning followed by dry patches and oil.  Never had a rust problem yet and it has been something like fifty years.

Sorry for running on for so long.  I wish you success.

John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.
Member #632

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 08:42:13 AM »
i am no expert in the field of muzzle loaders, but having been a flintlock rifleman since the late 60's, i will offer my farthing's worth of advice to any long gun newbie ...

commercial, off-the-production-line long guns will work just fine if you know what yer doing with 'em and you get a bit lucky.

a "stock" long gun will typically Never Ever be as "good" as a custom long gun which, if built by a knowledgeable and worthy gunsmith, will always offer superior quality of metal and wood, superior build and lock timing, much better ease of both use and reliability.  it's a "pay me now, or pay me later" kinda thing.   yes, a rifle built for you will cost two to four times as much as that offshore built firearm, but the difference 'tween them - once you understand long guns, and in particular flintlocks - is night and day.

there are MANY good gunsmiths that can assemble a most worthy flintlock long gun, my favorite is tip curtis.

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2014, 03:03:50 PM »
Stormrider51 gave an excellent overview of the subject.  A flintlock requires much more "shooter involvement" than the cap lock.

Offline Charlie

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2014, 04:52:34 PM »
Yep, an old dog gonna learn something new. I have nothing but time to learn. :Doh!  I want to portray a bit earlier than 1810 so I need to do it. Honest, it is a need, a need , keep telling her that. lol Thanks for the thoughts, now to get close enough to get my hands on something.