Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: So many choices  (Read 1637 times)

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: So many choices
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2014, 06:38:53 PM »
All good advice here Charlie,... and the search for "your" flinter can be half the fun of getting one.  :hey-hey
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2014, 07:17:36 PM »
Quote from: "rollingb"
All good advice here Charlie,... and the search for "your" flinter can be half the fun of getting one.  :hey-hey

... and ya might need to float another mortgage.  8)

Offline Auldgoat

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2014, 12:12:14 AM »
The missus just pointed out that since my recent affliction by the flint virus, my fishing pox is in total remission!

Yes, my vote is also with Tip Curtis. You can't do better for the price or quality.
Dei Gloria, dona nobis pacem.

Offline Charlie

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2014, 12:55:35 PM »
Quote from: "Auldgoat"
The missus just pointed out that since my recent affliction by the flint virus, my fishing pox is in total remission!

Yes, my vote is also with Tip Curtis. You can't do better for the price or quality.

I picked up a TC renegade FL very reasonable on another board, that gives me breathing room with the Red white and blue at Cairo NE. the end of the month to really look around.

I'm giving fishing gear away  :lol: but my wood workin expendature sure stopped.

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2014, 10:42:38 AM »
Buying a "production" flintlock carries a little of what buying a "preowned car" does. That up front price is not the end. They can be frustrating for first-timers. If you do go that route, you would do well to have someone take a little of your money to spend a little of their time tuning up the lock and trigger.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393

Offline Charlie

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2014, 11:06:12 AM »
Quote from: "Kermit"
Buying a "production" flintlock carries a little of what buying a "preowned car" does. That up front price is not the end. They can be frustrating for first-timers. If you do go that route, you would do well to have someone take a little of your money to spend a little of their time tuning up the lock and trigger.

I do know and agree with that advise. I am not a total first timer to FL so paying under $180 shipped for a well kept old gun to see if I really want to mess with it at all is better than spending mucho dinero on a work of art and finding out I don't.  :applaud

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2014, 01:32:56 PM »
just so happens i have a used  20 gage smooth bore  that just came in on friday  .
she is in real nice shape , doesnt apear to have been shot much .
 curly maple stock .  31 inch barrel , nothing real fancy , nice gun though
 ill be puting her up  for sale in the next week or so , barring anyone coming in and buying it  first .