Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Favorite disgusting food.  (Read 3471 times)

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
Favorite disgusting food.
« on: January 09, 2010, 05:57:54 AM »
What's your favorite disgusting food, the one your mom couldn't make you eat if she beat you until you couldn't stand up?  Mine never did, and she didn't do it twice either.

One of mine is canned sardines, the ones in the big oval flat cans.  Mom would scrape 'em into a big flattish bowl and mash 'em all up then pour the mustard sauce in and mash that all up, then she'd mince half a real strong yellow onion and a kosher dill pickle and mix that in.  If it was too dry, she'd add Miracle Whip.  She made sandwiches out of it.  I was married and had a kid before I could eat that crap, about 30 years old.  Now it's one of my favorite lunches, I can barely get enough.  

Another disgusting food that I can hardly get enough of now is sauerkraut.  When I was a kid I'd rather have a big bowl of stewed dirt than a spoonful of sauerkraut.  Now I really like the stuff, especially a brand called Flannery's or Flaherty's packed in plastic bags in the cooler section.  I like it cold, and rinsed a little in a colander.  Sometimes I get really hungry for it, buy a 2 pound bag and just sit in the kitchen and eat the whole thing.  A real treat is a ring Polish Sausage and kraut with boiled potatoes and butter.  After a meal of that, I have a driving urge to invade France.

When I was a kid, if mom was eating sauerkraut and ice cream for breakfast, we knew a new little brother or sister was on the way.  Another baby at our house was like Christmas, a birthday, and  Sunday dinner all week.  While Mom was pregnant she was as happy as a pig in a trough of apples.  There was almost nothing any of us kids could do to make her mad.  Mom said the reason there were so many of us was that Dad was hard of hearing.  She'd ask him, "Ya wanna get up or what?" and he'd say, "What?"  

Good grief,  this thread is already starting to drift.

So, what's your favorite disgusting food?

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Offline Roaddog

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Paid Member # 247 Expires 3/15 / 2019
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 06:58:54 AM »
How about a summer sausage and strawberry jam sandwich. Or peanutbutter and dill pickle sandwich. Now don't wrinkle up your nose till ya tried it.
Minnesota TMA State Representative

Member #247

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Membership #291, Expires 2/11/2019
Favorite disgusting food
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 07:01:30 AM »
Llllllliver, hands down. Ma used to fry beef liver in a cast iron pan with oinions and then try to make me eat it! :shock:  I  know it's good for me, but I don't care if ya put ketchup,hot sauce,er anything else on it, it still has that texture and taste that makes my skin crawl! On the other hand, I do like( brunswerger) liverwurst an onion an mayonaise samwiches, go figure. Oh, an don't try to slip no Rrrrrhutebegger on the table either , they'll be a fight.  Kipper snacks with crackers, yum.
Pa. TMA State Representative.[/color]
Member#291  2/11/19

Offline vermontfreedom

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 07:59:04 AM »
there were only 2 things i wouldn't eat as a kid: asparagus and pickled (or "harvard") beets; wasn't real fond of lima beans or split pea soup or lentils, but would 'force 'em down'

still hate beets, especially pickled, but love asparagus

i've always like all seafood: sardines, anchovies, oysters, mussels, clams, all shellfish), etc. and I love liver

i'm always trying new things, so for the first time ever a few years back i picked up some liverwurst and something similar at a butcher shop - love it.
--VermontFreedom--
TMA Charter Member #135 (renewed 20091128)

Offline Fletcher

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.glaciertraditionalarchery.com
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 11:04:52 AM »
Disgusting to whom???

If to me I won't eat it.
(e.g - olives, raw green or red peppers, hot chilies)

However that which my wife and kids don't like but I DO:

Liver and Onions
New England Boiled Dinner - Ham or Pastrami, Potatoes, cabbage
Lobster or Crab
Oysters
Fruit Cake

Things I have had for the ethnic experience but would not make a habit:

Bolied Dog at Blackfoot Pow Wow
Raw Octopus and Squid at Koerean Wedding
True Muk Tuk at Upik Banquet in Kotzebue AK
Ouzo and some weird concoction of goat meat wrapped in grape leaves at a Greek Wedding
Raw Liver from my first Elk
True Korean Kimshee aged at least 10 years
Real New York Pizza in New York City

If I think of more I may edit - but right now I am hungry for Breakfast  :lol:
Fletcher the Arrow Maker
Montana TMA State Representative
TMA Charter Member #143 exp 11/4/18
NRA Training Counselor
BSA National Camp School Director -
Shooting Sports
NRA Life Member
Flathead Valley Muzzleloaders

Offline vthompson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 11:36:52 AM »
There are two foods that I won't stick in my mouth for love or money and they are liver and tomatoes. I wouldn't give you a nickel for a dump truck load of either one of them.
My mom and grandmother has tried at various times down through the years to get me to eat them and I never have. I would rather go without than to eat them.
Take only what you need and leave the rest

West Virginia TMA State Representative[/color]

TMA Member #520
Exp. 12-2011

Offline Buffler Razz

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 12:01:47 PM »
Well, I'm trying to thnk of a food that I don't like. Bout all I can come up with is Lemon Merengue pie. Over the years I've had lots of strange stuff including:
some kind of shell fish we plucked off the rocks while snorkeling in the Bahamas
Pickled Kimshee
Pickled Caribou heart
raw quail eggs
fish eggs, raw
salted minnows (we were fishing and I was hungry)
all kinds of sushi  :)
All kinds of raw meat, beef deer elk
Heck, serve it up and Iron Belly Razz will give it a try!
Buffler Razz
aka Ron Razzolini
TMA Member 348
THE TMA "NEEDS" YOU!...JOIN TODAY

Offline R.M.

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 134
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 12:17:09 PM »
When I was a kid, sauerkraut  was about the only thing I didn't like. Love it now. Pretty much if I can get it past my nose, I can get it down the gullet. Kinda explains my silhouette.
R.M.
 :Canada
TMA Charter Member #134   Exp. 11/14
Join the TMA. For the money, it's the best BOOM for your 15 bucks.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 01:33:26 PM »
Baloot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or Balute or however you spell it
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Chairslayer

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Member # 239
  • TMA Member: Membership expires 3/27/ 2019
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 04:55:20 PM »
Turnips. Ma would start frying them and I would leave the house. Smelled like she was frying dirt. You can put parsnips right in there with them. Smell just the same.
Dan Egener
TMA #239 Expires 3-14-2017
Learn from the mistakes of others, you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 06:01:02 PM »
Chittlings!!!!!!1
Remember eating them, as a kid, until I realized what they were!!
during a Hog killing in the 60's
Now liver cheese, liverworst, is a deli meat I ask for as my wife shops
Go figure!!
I love pork and beef liver  fried in onions and served with a sawmill gravy
But I Hate OKRA although I grow it each year
OKRA I HATE in any form or fashion living or dead

:sleep
Mississippi TMA State Representative
Member #318  Valid until Jan 15, 2011
Hatchie Run Longrifles Member

Offline Puffer

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #133
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 08:30:55 PM »
I will eat "almost" anything, but there where a few, in "Jungle Training" that I do not want to have to eat again ( raw worms, grubs etc)

I love Liver & onions, esp. from a young deer. Sauerkraut with anything, I also like potato, onion sandwiches .

I know, NO TASTE, but remember I belong to the TMA> :rotf

Puffer
TMA CHARTER MEMBER # 133
THE TMA NEEDS YOU ___ JOIN TODAY
(THE BEST $15.00 I EVER SPENT )
**Cascade Mtn. Men

Expires = 12/24/24

War Eagle Society
NRA -  Range Safety Officer,

Offline WhiteBlanket

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 11:47:57 PM »
I love most of the foods mentioned here, as  well as others. I even enjoy natto, Japanese fermented soybeans. The first thing noticed by the uninitiated after opening a pack of natt? is the very strong ammoniacal smell, akin to strong cheese. Stirring the natt? produces lots of spiderweb-like strings. The natt? itself has a consistency somewhat akin to a glue stick.

But I am disgusted by cold breakfast cereal in milk.  I can get it down if I have to dry, but not with milk, especially if it's sweet. Go figure.
TMA Member No. 316

Etienne de la Haye dit Sansquartier
Marchand des Vins et Eaux-de-Vie

Offline bluelake

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shinmiyangyo.org
  • TMA Member: 424
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 12:16:35 AM »
Quote from: "Fletcher"
True Korean Kimshee aged at least 10 years

If kimchi is fermented for 10 years, I doubt anyone or anything would eat it.  Most isn't more than a week or two old, with the exception of kimjang, which is stored for the winter.  I love kimchi, although my first experience with it before I first came to Korea twenty-six years ago was not pleasant.

Quote from: "WhiteBlanket"
I love most of the foods mentioned here, as well as others. I even enjoy natto, Japanese fermented soybeans. The first thing noticed by the uninitiated after opening a pack of natt? is the very strong ammoniacal smell, akin to strong cheese. Stirring the natt? produces lots of spiderweb-like strings. The natt? itself has a consistency somewhat akin to a glue stick.

I've never had natto before, although I know of it.  I have had, however, hong-uh, which is a fermented skate.  It also has a very strong ammonia aroma and will seem to burn the tongue.  I can't stand the stuff (most people can't, although if someone likes natto, they might).  There is a fermented bean soup here in Korea that I love, but many people can't take; it's called cheonggukjang.  Koreans watch in amazement when I eat it.

While growing up, I cannot remember any food I didn't like.  I ate ravenously foods that kids, typically, don't like, such as spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, apspargus, etc.  I still love 'em.  I didn't have a great love for morel mushrooms as a kid, but I ate them and really like them now.  

It's interesting when I ask my Korean university students what foods they don't like.  Many of them don't like traditional Korean foods.  Also, a great number specifically don't like vegetables--carrots were often mentioned.  It's sad that traditional foods have given way to cholesterold-enhancing fast foods; don't get me wrong--I love a good burger with fries now and then, but there are young people who eat nothing else.

On the other side of the coin, my wife has placed me on a diet.  She's a great cook and all, but I get tired of the same thing day in and day out.  I could just about go for the aforementioned burger and fries right about now...
Member #424

Offline snake eyes

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
  • TMA Member: 10
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 06:10:34 AM »
Three Hawks,
        Wow,what a great topic to bring up. I hesitated about 2
seconds before coming up with an answer. I personally had two:
#1 was lima beans....This one I got by with because at the time
we had a boxer dog that loved them.In the event I would have to eat one I swallowed them.
#2 was cranberries or cranberry sauce.Even my boxer could not save me on this atrocity.Thank Heaven it only showed up on
Thanksgiving.Fortunately I was only made to eat one spoonful,
being Thanksgiving and all.
       I also must admit I hated chili because of the kidney beans.
These days it is a favorite when made with pinto beans.
Go figure :?  :?
       BTW, I love sardines in mustard sauce,sauerkraut and pork,
spam and anchovies,raw oysters and snails and Limburger cheese.
       There is just no explanation for an individuals taste.
Erin Go Bragh
TMA Co -Founder & Charter member #10 to   7/1/2019
Ohio TMA State Rep[/color]
Life member: NAHC
Life member: NRA
Member: Columbus M/L GC

"If you come to a fork in the road....take it!"
    Yogi Berra