Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Dehydrated Pea's?  (Read 1963 times)

Offline Longhunter

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shrewbows.com
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #54 Expires 03/26/2019
Re: Dehydrated Pea's?
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2011, 09:03:39 AM »
Dried peas and pork was the main stable for Voyagers.

In the late 70's (that's when some of you pups was still in diapers  :lol: )  a group of a half dozen us use to do a couple treks a year, one in the fall and one in the spring. The fall trek was by land and the spring one was by canoe. We carried dried peas and added any meat we took to the mix. I remember one meal in particular when the hunters brought in a mix of squirrel, porcupine, and coon. The meat was all cooked together in one pot and the dried peas in another. When the meat was done it was de-boned and put in the pot of pea gruel. It was a fine meal and very filling.

Someone had brought in a hat full of wild berrys and the cook made a cake of sorts from cornmeal and flour with the berrys mixed in and sweetened with honey.  That was fine doins fer sure...

This campfire meal was somewhere along the north shore of Lake Superior on the Canadian side, 1979

Ron LaClair
TMA Charter member #54 Valid until 03-26-2019

RON_LACLAIR.html

TMA, Keeping the traditional spirit alive by example

When the deer are gone I will hunt mice, for I am a hunter

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 07:49:27 AM »
This campfire meal was somewhere along the north shore of Lake Superior on the Canadian side, 1979

I wish you guys had been discovered by Canadian border agents..., only to see their expression when they came across a bunch of voyageurs.  Yet, for the 1970's, the hair styles were rather correct, so maybe they would've thought you guys were some sort of back-to-nature group.  

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline sse

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2011, 12:06:04 PM »
Being somewhat familiar with the northern shore, I'd be interested in knowing where you put in/out at.......Agawa, would be my guess, since it's not to too far from the Soo.
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821