Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: coffee pot question  (Read 2732 times)

Offline prairie dog

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member #678
coffee pot question
« on: January 18, 2012, 09:11:52 AM »
I need some advice / help here.

What type of coffee pot would have been in use at an 1830-1840 mountain man winter camp?

I am ready to start replacing my camp cooking gear with historically correct looking stuff.  Since the coffee pot is out and in sight most of the time I want to start with that.  The copper pots available are rather costly and I would like to avoid buying something that isn't really correct.  

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and research.
Steve Sells

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
Re: coffee pot question
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 09:24:10 AM »
A better first question would be whether coffee itself is PC/HC for the scenario you describe. You'll get opinions. You'll need to decide what level of documentation you require. Now me, I have one of those tapered tin coffee boilers you see so often. It's at least a notch or two more proper than one in blue speckled enamelware!

If you want to be safe, drink tea.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 10:21:37 AM »
Quote from: "BEAVERMAN"
Quote from: "Kermit"
A better first question would be whether coffee itself is PC/HC for the scenario you describe. You'll get opinions. You'll need to decide what level of documentation you require. Now me, I have one of those tapered tin coffee boilers you see so often. It's at least a notch or two more proper than one in blue speckled enamelware!

If you want to be safe, drink tea.

Or just make cowboy  coffee in a mucket or tin cup or any other pot
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline prairie dog

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 12:38:31 PM »
 You'll need to decide what level of documentation you require.

They had coffee.  It is listed in the ledgers of trade goods taken to rendezvous.  (along with sugar, flour, and such.)  I have read accounts of coffee being brewed in a trade kettle.  Just wondering what style / type of coffee pot would have been available to the traders at that time.

Thanks
Steve Sells

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 10:55:49 PM »
If I can make a money saving suggestion that is also HC...,

I would simply get a copper pot with lid.  I use either a large copper pot or a "straight sided pouring pot".  OK well the SSPP may not be a historic design, but you save money in that a coffee pot from the period is really just good for that..., while making cowboy-coffee in a plain pot give you a pot for coffee or for other stuff when you need to boil it.   :)

Oh and I often simply fill up the pot, and cheat by tossing in a couple or three of those premeasured coffee bags... here's where I got my pots...

http://westminsterforge.com/cookingpots.html

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 09:38:13 AM »
Quote from: "Loyalist Dave"

Oh and I often simply fill up the pot, and cheat by tossing in a couple or three of those premeasured coffee bags.

LD

AMEN!! Although when I'm at "Show and Tell's,we'll use hammered roasted bean's,taste's like crap,but DAMN,WE LOOK GOOD! :hairy
NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 11:20:55 AM »
I would have to agree with Beav and the others about a multipurpose pot. Just throw in the ground beans and let it simmer. durring the day toss in a little fresh beans and some wood ash . Egg shells work the same as the wood ash but I doubt fresh eggs were a common item in the larders. The eggs/wood ash keeps the brew from taking on the bitter taste.
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013

Offline prairie dog

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 11:22:45 AM »
These are the coffee pots I have found.  

In my camp the coffee pot is going to be in use and in sight most of the day.  The blue and white speckled enamel coffee pot I have has always made good coffee but it doesn't look right in a buck-skinners camp.

Of these choices; which pot is the least offensive to your eyes and your PC sensibilities?

Steve Sells

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 11:33:58 AM »
The last one is likely the best, not because it looks good (it does) but because the pot has a wide bottom and is fairly short. It'll boil faster than the taller skinny pots, in my experience. I know coffee shows up in fur trade inventories, but I think I read that the beans were green. You had to roast your own.

I'm certainly not the PC cop, but it's interesting to see what we can justify. Like how to disguise your Coors Lite. Mea culpa.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393

Offline prairie dog

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 12:12:42 PM »
 but I think I read that the beans were green. You had to roast your own.

That is what I read too.  Trade items did change when the shift from forts trading primarily with Indians changed to rendezvous traders trading with company trappers.
Steve Sells

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Member: Charter Member #20
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 12:59:18 PM »
Quote from: "Kermit"

which makes a great demonstration for the flatlanders, by the way....
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline Longhunter

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shrewbows.com
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #54 Expires 03/26/2019
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 05:21:38 PM »
Two years ago at the TMA Tree Rat Rendezvous I brought green coffee beans and roasted them in a pan over the fire. Then they have to be put in a cloth or bag and crushed with the back of your hawk. This last year I brought an antique coffee grinder, it looked like the one used in the movie Dances With Wolves.

Normally when I get up in the morning I want my coffee NOW! so I just grab a fist full of dark roast and throw it on top of a pot of water. When it starts to boil...take it off the fire and let it settle a bit. Jack Perry made the pot that I've been using for the last few years.

As for those "coffee packets"..... :th dn If you use those you won't have any grounds to chew on... :laffing
Ron LaClair
TMA Charter member #54 Valid until 03-26-2019

RON_LACLAIR.html

TMA, Keeping the traditional spirit alive by example

When the deer are gone I will hunt mice, for I am a hunter

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 05:58:49 PM »
I was at Jack's the other day makin' a smaller pierced tin lantern and he's makin up a bunch of coffee pot's for K-zoo. I have one of his that's every bit of 30 years old and LOVE IT!! If you know Jack and his work,better get all ya can NOW,he's makin' somenoise about sellin his tool's and re-tiring! I'm spending as much time as I can with him,truley one of Muzzleloading's treasure's!

Sorry for the hi-jack,but I like the straight sided pot's for a Skinning camp. Tin lined copper is the best in my opinion.

Really got a kick out of watchin' Ron grind them beans,coffee AND a show!!! :applaud
NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline prairie dog

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 10:01:18 AM »
Could some of you post some photos of your coffee pots?
Steve Sells

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 12:13:30 AM »

OK so I tried to do this...., I had a dry, iron skillet, and a wooden mortar and pestle.

So..., I roast the beans, a nice medium brown, grind 'em up, and boild them.  It kinda smells like coffee, but it's like tea..., so I dump some more of the "roasted" and ground beans in, let it boil a bit, and I drink a cup.  Doesn't taste like much..., so I start again.

I roasted the beans to a chocolate brown, grind 'em up, and make another pot..., now it smells like coffee, but is kinda weak looking, and I drink a cup, and the flavor is getting closer...

Again, from the top, only I roast the beans 'till they are black, and sorta oily...., grind 'em up, and make a pot.  This looks and smells right, and I drink a cup.

NOW..., what nobody told me was that caffine is water soluable, and has nothing to do with the color of the coffee, as the color of the coffee is due to the darkness of the roasting.  

So three rather potent cups of coffee in about 40 minutes....,

for the next four hours at the event ...,

whenItalkeditcameoutsomethinglikethisandIcouldntstoptalkingorshakingandmyheartfeltlikeitwasgoingto'splode!!!!

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.