Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Barrel Removal  (Read 1261 times)

Offline School Belle

• TMA Forum Member
Barrel Removal
« on: September 25, 2008, 11:31:41 AM »
Help! Can anyone tell me how to remove the barrel from a Pedersoli Scout Carbine (.32 Flintlock)? I've removed the screw on top and the two on the side and the lock, but the barrel still won't come loose. I thought it would take down the same way as the Pedersoli Frontier/Blue Ridge/Hatfield, but it doesn't.

Offline butterchurn

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 11:38:09 AM »
Are there pins to drift out that may be holding the barrel in the stock?  Look on the for arm and see.  I don't own one of these so I don't know.  Why are you taking the barrel out?
Butterchurn
Member # 249
Exp. 07/12/10

Set your course by the stars, not by the lights of every passing ship.
General Omar N. Bradley

Offline School Belle

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 11:47:43 AM »
Quote from: "butterchurn"
Are there pins to drift out that may be holding the barrel in the stock?  Look on the for arm and see.  I don't own one of these so I don't know.  Why are you taking the barrel out?

There are a bunch of pins--little, tiny ones--all along the wood under the barrel. I was taking it apart to see if I could, to see if I would clean it the same way as my big Pedersoli.

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 12:40:29 PM »
Just take the lock off and use a flush tube instead.
Drifting those pins out will up the chance of messing up the wood on the forestock.  Some of those pins hold the barrel to the stock, and some of them probably hold the thimbles to the stock.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Spotted Bull

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 12:48:13 PM »
Quote from: "bigsmoke"
Just take the lock off and use a flush tube instead.
Drifting those pins out will up the chance of messing up the wood on the forestock.  Some of those pins hold the barrel to the stock, and some of them probably hold the thimbles to the stock.

Your correct, my Pedersoli Kentucky is like that and I bent a pin once......not a fun deal to straighten that little booger either......flush tube is the best way to go, especially one of the clamp-on type.  Not sure where I saw those but TOTW may have them.

Offline butterchurn

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 11:11:24 PM »
Don't take barrel out unless you have to.  I don't normally take my barrels off.  I plug the touch hole with a tooth pick and then fill with cleaning solution, let soak,  dump and clean.
Butterchurn
Member # 249
Exp. 07/12/10

Set your course by the stars, not by the lights of every passing ship.
General Omar N. Bradley

Offline Bald Mountain Man

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 25
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 07:03:29 AM »
I leave the barrell in to clean it. I put the gun on my gun cleaning center rests upside down with the muzzle slightly higher than the breech end. I also place a big cookie sheet under the gun to catch the water as it runs out of the vent hole. Then I pour the boiling hot water into the muzzle thru a funnel & tube/hose. Any water that spills won't run in between the barrell & the stock because water doesn't run uphill. I like using the boiling water too because the barrell heats up & after you get done running patches thru it, until you get dry patches, the heat will finish evaporating any left over moisture. The heat will also melt lube/protectant into the pores of the metal if you apply it before the barrell cools down too much. ;)
TMA Charter member #25
NRA Life Member

Membership expires 10/23/2016

Offline FlintSteel

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 02:26:15 PM »
I always take the barrel off unless I'm just swabbing the barrel at the range or in the field. I don't want any water and powder residue crud collecting under the barrel and causing rust and corrosion to form there possibly weakening the barrel lugs. A little care when removing the barrel pins is all it takes, but when it cleaned it's clean and I don't have to worry about it rusting away on me. Just my 2 cents. Total cleaning time with the barrel off and the lock out and cleaned and oiled, NO MORE THAN 15 MINUTES.
Worth the extra time I think.
Michael Markey
TMA Member #271  Exp 07/09/2013
National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association
National Rifle Association
Contemporary Longrifle Association

Offline tg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2008, 09:16:23 AM »
I usually take the barrels out of my long guns once a year maybe every other year and set them back in a light coat of wax,after a light oiling of the barrel itself. I hunt in the Coastal Mts of Oregon and the only rust I have had was on barrels left in the white and it was very little and wooled off easily. some takem 'em off a lot some don't

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2008, 09:33:56 AM »
im with TG on this . i take mine off once a year  and do a real deep cleaning to them . normaly i find nothing but  as TG i like to make sure and add a good coat of waxed grease  to the bottom of the barrel
 remeber the pins come out and go in from one side . normaly the left side . so  use a chase thats smaller then the hole , in from the right side
 put the pins back in before you tighten down the tang screw . take them out after losening the tang screw .

there should be a pin in the main for stock , then one just infront of the entry thimble .. and one at the nose . you might find one center as well .

its also a good time on production guns to check the pins . sometimes they use a pin that have  flat ends. if so  take a small file  or sand paper and round  the eds so that and good and smooth . this way they will  in the future go in and out much nicer and reduce the chance of them digging into the stock itself .

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2008, 10:44:40 AM »
Cap, I like to make my pins by chucking them in a drill and shaping round them carefully against a grinder and then against a wire wheel. Very easy and gives a nice soft luster on the ends.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline tg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2008, 10:53:26 AM »
I keep a piece of styrofoam on the bench marked so the pins all go back into the right holes they easily push in and pull out of that suff.

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2008, 01:42:19 PM »
Quote from: "tg"
I keep a piece of styrofoam on the bench marked so the pins all go back into the right holes they easily push in and pull out of that suff.

I like that. Why are the simplest ideas sometimes the hardest to think of?
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline jtwodogs

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 11:47:57 AM »
All good tips.
#423 renew 3/14/10
George Washington
" It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and Bible."
 May 12, 1779