Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Leather Workers - I need your help/opinion  (Read 1336 times)

Offline 2 Locks

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.MultiLakes.com
Leather Workers - I need your help/opinion
« on: April 17, 2011, 01:37:34 PM »
I got myself a nice piece of moose leather, and mapped out all the pieces for making four pairs of pucker vamp moccasins.  Just as I was finishing up the layout, something came back to me about direction of the pattern when cutting moccasins.  Something about curling up if done the wrong way.  Decided to ask before cutting. :?

I don't remember the specifics, but please take a look at the picture below & tell me if I'm getting myself into trouble or if you think I'm OK.  The "heel end" of 6 of the mocs are lined up along the spine, the other two (near the rump) are lined up a little differently.

[attachment=0:2g6p7b5p][/attachment]4 Pair Moccasin Layout.JPG[/attachment:2g6p7b5p]
Dave Leonard
Member #429 Expires 4/15/14

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
Re: Leather Workers - I need your help/opinion
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 05:25:12 PM »
First things first, did you get the hide wet and pre strecth it???????? if you did not, your size 10 mocs will quickly become size 12 or 13 the first 2 days you wear them, after you stretch it, cut and sew your patterns so their tight on the foot cuz it's going to stretch even more! GUARANTEED!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 06:27:35 PM »
First thing is what Beav said. I soak 'em in a bucket of water, then squeeeeeze hard, and then I stretch--really stretch in all directions--and staple the hide to the wall as I go. Leave it until its dry. Stretching is essential for any garment you are going to make.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393

Online BEAVERMAN

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 09:04:20 PM »
Quote from: "Kermit"
First thing is what Beav said. I soak 'em in a bucket of water, then squeeeeeze hard, and then I stretch--really stretch in all directions--and staple the hide to the wall as I go. Leave it until its dry. Stretching is essential for any garment you are going to make.

I usually throw mine in the washer with cold water and NO SOAP!!!!!, let it go through a complete cycle, this will rid the hide of the left over dye that bleeds out as you sweat and will lighten the color a bit, then staple to the wall or a sheet of OSB or whatever, the trick is to stretch the crap out of it!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

Offline 2 Locks

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 09:32:59 PM »
Embarrassing, but I'm glad I asked. :oops:   The moccasins I made before (from a Crazy Crow kit) might have stretched a little, but not enough that I had to worry about.

Quote from: "BEAVERMAN"
...the trick is to stretch the crap out of it!
Maybe I'm giving myself more credit than I'm due, but I would think I can stretch hard enough to pull out staples.  Does stretching the crap out of it mean my full weight pulling down, or just as hard as I pull while its flat on the floor?

I used charcoal to mark the patterns. I would think most of that will come out in a wash cycle, but would a little baking soda help that along or will I be changing the chemistry too much?
Dave Leonard

Online BEAVERMAN

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 02:25:08 AM »
stretch it as hard as you can pull without pulling the staples out, not sure what baking soda will do to the tanning other than neutralize the acids left in the hide, as far as stretching the mocs from crazy crow, I'll bet they were not moose! moose will stretch pretty darn good, actually stretches better than elk
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

Offline Bison Horn

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 06:30:17 AM »
Like Beav said the baking soda is a neutralizer for the pickling acid in the tanning process won't hurt nothing now. It's also a good cleaning agent as is 20 Mule Team borax so it would work for cleaning in the wash. Borax has many uses and handy to have around.  BH
Alan Wright

Texas Trappers and Fur Hunters Association Life Member, LTAHA,National Trappers Association Life Member,FTA,NRA,NAHC Life Member
Dallas Muzzleloading Gun Club
"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms"  Thomas Jefferson
Texas Trappers and Hunters Assoc.

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 08:27:31 AM »
I was taught that you aline the hide with the way the critter wore it. My Mocc's are lined up along the spine,leggings the same. May use a bit more hide,but everything come out good and stay's that way.
NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline 2 Locks

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 07:21:01 PM »
Thanks for the help help guys.  I'll try baking soda & a little borax.  Not too much borax though - I'm hoping to need that in a few day for drying the open joints of turkey feet, wings, fan & beard.

If I'm lucky I will be able to get four pairs oriented lengthwise after stretching.
Dave Leonard

Offline Mitch

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 06:31:05 PM »
as long as ALL the parts are laid out in the same direction, you'll be OK...the way you have it laid out now will work fine
Ride the high trail....never tuck your tail

TMA#211 renewal date 01AUG08

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Member: Charter Member #20
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 06:32:25 PM »
Quote from: "Mitch"
as long as ALL the parts are laid out in the same direction, you'll be OK...the way you have it laid out now will work fine

....once you have it stretched. :hairy
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline 2 Locks

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 07:03:34 PM »
Ran it through the wash last night & stapled it to an OSB board.  The stretching process confirmed my suspicion that a flat board is not moose shaped.  The are a couple of "curls" that are stretched in one direction but not the other.  Luckily I was able to limit those to non-critical areas near the belly.

The washing process left just enough of the charcoal marks, that laying it all out the second time will be a lot easier.  Since those marks will all be cut away, or wind up inside the mocs I'm not worried about them.

It's been about 22 hours now & it's about 1/2 dry.  I'm going to leave it at least another day, but I don't want to leave it too long - I'm a little worried about growing mold between the board & the skin.  What do you think?
Dave Leonard

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 08:02:25 PM »
should I stretch buckskin for bags?will this give me more leather to work with?
I go forth armed and girded as a free man.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Online BEAVERMAN

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 10:06:10 PM »
Quote from: "2 Locks"
Ran it through the wash last night & stapled it to an OSB board.  The stretching process confirmed my suspicion that a flat board is not moose shaped.  The are a couple of "curls" that are stretched in one direction but not the other.  Luckily I was able to limit those to non-critical areas near the belly.

The washing process left just enough of the charcoal marks, that laying it all out the second time will be a lot easier.  Since those marks will all be cut away, or wind up inside the mocs I'm not worried about them.

It's been about 22 hours now & it's about 1/2 dry.  I'm going to leave it at least another day, but I don't want to leave it too long - I'm a little worried about growing mold between the board & the skin.  What do you think?

I have left them on the board as long as a week and no mold problems, you want to make sure that it is completely dry
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

Offline 2 Locks

• TMA Forum Member