Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Applied Tip Horn  (Read 1245 times)

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
Applied Tip Horn
« on: December 18, 2018, 11:58:05 PM »
Recently I was asked to create a Christmas present for a fellow's son-in-law. What to do, what to do? I know, it's been like forever since I made an applied tip horn, so why not?
Here is a photo from the right side of the horn

The horn is about 13" plus the tip on the bottom curve

And from the left side of the horn

Here is a photo of the baseplug and the finial. The finial started out life as a horn tip. From this horn? Nah, probably not, just out of the horn tip box. Sorry about the fuzzy focus, I am surely not a photographer.

Here is a photo of the applied tip. The work on it was pretty good, but that damn water buffalo junk that a certain purveyor of stuff sells is just purely worthless, and I have no idea of how to fix it. Well, the horn is gone now, so I cannot worry about it. It sure does bother me, though.

John

« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 12:00:31 AM by bigsmoke »
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: Applied Tip Horn
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 12:22:50 AM »
That's a dandy horn John,.... that fella's son-in-law ought to be very pleased with it.  :hairy
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 02:50:35 AM »
John, you little ol' Horn Maker you.....I would have betcha you couldn't stay away.
It's in yer blood John, in your hair, and on your clothes, now tell us again you don't miss it.
Don't forget, Santa is watching so you better tell the truth.

:hairy

Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 07:02:46 AM »
Very nice John. It really makes that horn stand out!  :hairy
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Bigsmoke

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 01:10:45 PM »
John, you little ol' Horn Maker you.....I would have betcha you couldn't stay away.
It's in yer blood John, in your hair, and on your clothes, now tell us again you don't miss it.
Don't forget, Santa is watching so you better tell the truth.

:hairy

Russ...

Yeah, it (the horn dust) is in my hair?  Not much hair to be in.  That will wash off.  On my clothes?  Yeah, but laundry day takes care of that.

In my blood?  Well, I guess that could happen.  You forgot about in my lungs, Russ.  After 30 some years of horn making, it's gotta be in my lungs.  At least the chronic little cough I have says it is.

I did take a vacation from horn making after I sold the business, but I did miss it.  In the first year, I think I made a total of one horn, and I gave that away as a rendezvous prize.  Second year, about the same.  Early this year, I started building back my shop and I am in production mode.  Only making maybe a dozen horns a month, but it is something.  I am now trying to simplify my shop and going from Shopsmith to individual tools.  Band saw, drill press, bench grinder, etc.  Hope to have the Shopsmith sold this year (better hurry, not much year left.)  Thinking serious about bringing out a couple of different horn designs next year that I might sell on eBay.  We'll see how things go.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life

Offline JB67

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #833
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 06:41:20 AM »
I hope you wear some kind of dust filter. Horn dust gets in themlungs and doesn't come out. Chronic exposure can cause a form of emphysema.
All men have fears. The brave put down their fears and go forward, sometimes to death but always to victory.

Online Bigsmoke

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 10:31:14 PM »
I hope you wear some kind of dust filter. Horn dust gets in them lungs and doesn't come out. Chronic exposure can cause a form of emphysema.

Well, I do take precautions against breathing that stuff.  Years ago, I started coughing up blood and that gave me a hint that I needed to pay more attention to myself.  Now, if I just walk into the shop, a dust mask goes on.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life