Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Rough horn question  (Read 2464 times)

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Rough horn question
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2020, 01:58:08 PM »
I should restate its at their facility but may or may not be an actual Univ. program. But there is rifle building,pistol, blacksmithing, horn work and if im not mistaken, weaving and other old time trades are taught and covered. I think they go with whoever they can get to head up and teach a class.
Something  I wish the HCH would do, rotate programs around the country. Seems everything is in Wa, OH or PA yr after yr. maybe its a logistics thing costing too much or maybe its because the majority of members are concentrated there. But HCH is still a great organization.
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2020, 03:57:16 PM »
Regarding the HCH's annual meeting in PA, I have attended it in Ohio, Virginia and one other place that slips my mind right now.  Seems like that is happening much too often these days.  Anyway, it was decided to hold it in PA and has been there every since.  I think it was in 2010 that I approached the Board and inquired about having a west coast meeting, as there were many people on the west coast that would like to attend, but for whatever reason, they could not.  I would think that the cost of transportation and room and board were the primary reasons.  Anyway, they agreed in principal and granted me a sum of money to do a couple of mailings with, but other than that, they did not want to be associated with it.  Period.
So, I said fine, we'll go ahead and do it on our own, we really don't need you.  So, mailers were sent out, plans were made and we had our first West Coast Horn Faire.  That was in Washington.  The next year we held it in California.  And the next year we held it near to Olympia, WA.  That was a perfect location, and it has been there ever since.  About the time of that horn fair, I decided it was kind of a problem for me to be the head of the event, so I turned it over to the Washington Historical Gunmaker's Guild and they have had a firm grip on the reins ever since.  A few years ago, they started bringing in guest teachers and it has been great.  Then COVID-19 hit this year and the event was not held.
So, my opinion is that if a person wants something to happen, the best way to have it happen is to organize it yourself.  That's just the simplest way of handling it.  If you can put it together with a parent organization, so much the better.
The West Coast group decided a few years ago that it would be good to expand the Faire and call it the West Coast Horn and Accouterments Faire.  Good idea there.

Have fun with it.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2020, 09:17:24 PM »
I agree that would be a good way to go. I just dont know how many horners would be game. I know of no HCH members in Ks but thats not to say there isnt. There is a smallish gunmakers guild up east of KC that has some get togethers. May have to investigate that idea more.
HCH member
NRA member
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2020, 03:06:10 PM »
Hey Dan, anymore progress on this horn? waiting to see the finished product !
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2020, 06:16:19 PM »
No Beaverman im afraid projects have realy almost come to a stop. Its like an oven in my shop and sweat running in my eyes just doesnt do it for me.
That and just many other things have just gotten in the way.
Perhaps it will give me more time to look through my books and decide just what I want to make of it.🙂
HCH member
NRA member
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2020, 09:51:30 PM »
Been looking for a rifle to pop up with all that new lumber you got awhile back. ;)
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2020, 09:58:08 PM »
Been looking for a rifle to pop up with all that new lumber you got awhile back. ;)
Haha Hank! I have to finish that pistol first🥴but you are correct!
HCH member
NRA member
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21