Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Powder Horn History#6  (Read 1260 times)

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
Powder Horn History#6
« on: July 31, 2020, 12:34:00 PM »
Reposting old threads that were lost after the forum cleanup from broken threads or lost pics from photobucket, here's an early build from 10 or so years ago. Maybe some one can use it as a reference or  ideas for their own build!

[ Invalid Attachment ]
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
Re: Powder Horn History#6
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 12:55:24 PM »
Jim, You had me at bison.  Darn, I do like those horns.  Nice touch with the slightly flared baseplug.  So subtle that it is hardly noticeable, but it does make a difference.  I don't think bison horns need anything else but their own simple elegance to totally shine.  Well played.
I am thinking the nose of the horn is faceted, but with the darkness of the horn and the lighting it is tough to see.  If so, that's all the horn needed for decoration.
The groove that the facets end at looks a wee bit rough.  It could be that it is or it could be how it was photographed.  If it's rough, Jantz Supply, the knife building supply business offers small round files of various roughness.  They make smoothing out grooves a simple matter.  After it's smoothed, buff with 0000 steel wool, touch it to a buffing wheel and presto change-0.  I also made a little handle with a short length of 1/4" dowel epoxied in, and wrapped 320 grit paper then 400 grit paper around it and cleaned up the grooves that way.  All sorts of fun little tricks to try to get the job done.  Not to mention a Dremmel tool with a 5/16 diameter stone.  Scratches in grooves - always a nemesis to me.
Anyway, I really like the horn.  Thanks for showing it.

John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
Re: Powder Horn History#6
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 01:06:14 PM »
John, thanks, I like Buff horns also, ( after you get through that outer layer of dead hair)! yes the throat is faceted,  the part that you think looks rough is not, I would never let a horn leave my shop that wasn't finished, it's the reflection of the flash against the edges of the cuts, this one was dated 2009 as you can see at the edge of the base
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"