Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: New to me book, "The Revenant"  (Read 439 times)

Offline Maven

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #778
  • TMA Member: Expiration date; 10/21/2021
New to me book, "The Revenant"
« on: January 19, 2017, 11:02:01 AM »
Michael Punke's book, "The Revenant" may be "so last year" to many here, but I happened to be in a Barnes & Noble the other day and noticed the clearance/last chance book table. On it were several [new] copies of  "The Revenant" at a very attractive price. Although I'd already seen the movie, which I found to be confusing, I really wanted to read the book: It is vastly better. Firstly, it begins well after Col. Leavenworth's encounter with the Arikaras, Secondly, there's little profanity (f-bombs dropped frequently in 1823???). Third, the dialogue and characters are clear and well developed. Lastly, there's none of the mysticism with the Pawnees. As an aside, I had hell's own time trying to understand Tom Hardy's (John Fitzgerald) mountain man dialect when I watched the movie. At any rate, I'd highly recommend the book, which is far superior to the film (ain't that often the case?).

I forgot to add that my book is the 2002 edition and is a novel, i.e., work of fiction, based on actual events.

Happy reading!.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 08:05:58 PM by Maven »

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
Re: New to me book, "The Revenant"
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 01:21:02 PM »
I read the book, which I also found excellent.  Expecting that the movie would also be good, I got it from the library.  I think I was able to stay attuned to it for maybe up to 20 minutes before I turned it off and put it back into its case.  Hollywierd should have stayed closer to the book and not tried to attract the 13 year old crowd with their frequent profanities and obscenity.    It's really not necessary to plot development.  But I'm just an old phart and they are not trying to sell anything to my age group.
I am just glad that I didn't get around to seeing the movie at a theater, as I would have been pretty upset to have wasted the cost of admission when I walked out of the place.
If y'all haven't seen the movie, don't waste your time, read the book instead.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Membership #291, Expires 2/11/2019
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 02:00:21 PM »
Good to hear, I bought the dvd of the Revenant, and I agree Fitz's dialect escapes me even after watching the movie several times. But that's Hollywood. I will check into the book. Reading a book always gives me better visuals than a movie.............
Pa. TMA State Representative.[/color]
Member#291  2/11/19

Offline Maven

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 03:36:58 PM »
greyhunter, My barber & I have discussed the dialect problem in the movie several times.  His solution, which is ingenious, is to play the movie with closed captioning enabled.  That way you can read what Hardy/Fitzgerald says.

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Membership #291, Expires 2/11/2019
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 06:27:53 PM »
Quote from: "Maven"
greyhunter, My barber & I have discussed the dialect problem in the movie several times.  His solution, which is ingenious, is to play the movie with closed captioning enabled.  That way you can read what Hardy/Fitzgerald says.
:shock: Brilliant! I will do that the next time!
Pa. TMA State Representative.[/color]
Member#291  2/11/19

Offline amm1851

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 08:25:33 PM »
You know, I am embarrassed to admit how many times I have watched Jeremiah Johnson,  The Mountain Men, Last of the Mohicans,  Black Robe, Drums Along the Mohawk and other such movies, but one viewing of The Revenant was enough to last me for awhile. I guess I was disappointed in the way they Hollywooded up the story of Hugh Glass to the point I couldn't enjoy it that much. I know the other movies I mentioned also have their flaws, but for whatever reason I am willing to overlook their inaccuracies and plot holes. Just my opinion,  and maybe not worth much.
Life member, National Rifle Association
Molon labe

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 08:20:35 AM »
Quote from: "amm1851"
You know, I am embarrassed to admit how many times I have watched Jeremiah Johnson,  The Mountain Men, Last of the Mohicans,  Black Robe, Drums Along the Mohawk and other such movies, but one viewing of The Revenant was enough to last me for awhile. I guess I was disappointed in the way they Hollywooded up the story of Hugh Glass to the point I couldn't enjoy it that much. I know the other movies I mentioned also have their flaws, but for whatever reason I am willing to overlook their inaccuracies and plot holes. Just my opinion,  and maybe not worth much.

I'm in agreement with you, amm1851
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline amm1851

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 12:37:26 PM »
Thanks Joe.  :)
Life member, National Rifle Association
Molon labe

Offline Maven

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 12:54:10 PM »
amm1851 & OJ,  I agree with you:  I've watched the other movies many times (except "Black Robe," which is difficult to find) and enjoy doing so, but I've no desire to do so with "The Revenant."  Trust me, the 2002 book is much, much better.