Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Fifteen years in the Hawken Lode by John D. Baird  (Read 455 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Fifteen years in the Hawken Lode by John D. Baird
« on: December 24, 2016, 06:14:32 PM »
I ordered "Fifteen years in the Hawken Lode by John D. Baird" this afternoon off Amazon (used book in very good condition - so they say) and with the use of $10.00 worth of Bing Points, it cost me $20.00 and some change. Should get it next week some time.

I've been wanting this book for a long time but was never willing to pay the "brand new" price, then it hit me after who knows how many years - look for and buy a used one...

People who I've talked with in the past who have this book only had good things to say about it, so now I'll have one soon to read.  :hairy
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: Fifteen years in the Hawken Lode by John D. Baird
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 07:28:08 PM »
I used to have John's book,.... loaned it out several years ago, and haven't seen it since.  :(
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline amm1851

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 07:50:09 PM »
I read it years ago. It's a good book.
Life member, National Rifle Association
Molon labe

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 08:50:58 PM »
I got my book today!  :lt th

Oh,,, and now I want to build a Hawken! This book is going to cost me more then I thought... :lt th

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 09:17:17 PM »
Joe, Good thing you got the used one.  All the money you saved will be a good down payment on the rear sight.
Seriously, it's a good book and well worth the read.
It illustrates some things that a lot of people find hard to believe.  Their plains rifle is not the only style rifle they built.  Far from it.  They even built a pistol grip rifle.  Oh me, oh my, can it be?  Heck, that's not PC or HC or primitive or whatever.  Not so, it is what it is.
Enjoy!!
John
PS  Wish I could find my copy of the book.  Would like to go through it again.  Oh well, it's somewhere in this madhouse I call home.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 10:11:48 PM »
Quote from: "bigsmoke"
Joe, Good thing you got the used one.  All the money you saved will be a good down payment on the rear sight.
Seriously, it's a good book and well worth the read.
It illustrates some things that a lot of people find hard to believe.  Their plains rifle is not the only style rifle they built.  Far from it.  They even built a pistol grip rifle.  Oh me, oh my, can it be?  Heck, that's not PC or HC or primitive or whatever.  Not so, it is what it is.
Enjoy!!
John
PS  Wish I could find my copy of the book.  Would like to go through it again.  Oh well, it's somewhere in this madhouse I call home.

John, one thing that stands out almost at once when looking at the pictures in this book is that with the half stock Hawken Rifle, patch boxes are not common at all. There's more pictures and prints without patch boxes then those with PB's.

Pretty cool!  :bl th up

Offline Maven

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #778
  • TMA Member: Expiration date; 10/21/2021
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 01:02:29 PM »
I ordered & received a "used," but essentially new copy a couple of weeks ago and was disappointed with its content:  too repetitive, poor editing,* and too much about Baird and his antics.  However, his first book on Hawken rifles (the mountain man's choice, doncha know!), appears to be the better of the two, as it's more informative...and expensive as well.

*the repetition, too many grammatical & spelling errors

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 01:20:41 PM »
Quote from: "Maven"
I ordered & received a "used," but essentially new copy a couple of weeks ago and was disappointed with its content:  too repetitive, poor editing,* and too much about Baird and his antics.  However, his first book on Hawken rifles (the mountain man's choice, doncha know!), appears to be the better of the two, as it's more informative...and expensive as well.

*the repetition, too many grammatical & spelling errors

I want to get his first book also. Truth be known, since I've not read his first book (probably the one I should have gotten first) his 2nd book is new ground for me.

Have to admit, since getting book #2, I haven't had a lot of time to set down and give it a good read. :shake