Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: The Ramblings of an older man!  (Read 459 times)

Offline Hawken

• TMA Forum Member
  • "A man's WORD....is his total value!"
  • TMA Member: TMA Member #802 Expiration 05-04-2021
The Ramblings of an older man!
« on: June 25, 2017, 11:30:22 PM »
Ramblings of an older man!

As I sit contemplating how to arrange this article I'm at somewhat of a loss at just where I need to begin, for the trail I have followed down through the years is quite varied to say the least! It began with what many here would refer to as 'suppository' rifles as when I was ten years age my Dad (God Rest his soul) bought me an '03A3 Springfield in 1950 which I became quite familiar with. This purchase led me into learning the fine art of casting lead bullets because Dad advised that if I wanted to shoot.....I had to cast my own bullets which I would shoot at reduced loads using gas checks applied to the base of my bullets to help prevent 'leading' of the barrel. Dad also required that the reduced loads would keep the velocity at somewhere around 1500 fps to help prevent a leading issue. Man.....I killed many a big rat around our barn with those loads until I went into the military! My military years kept me with the 'suppository' rifles as I was selected to shoot with the All-Army Rifle Team and there's no telling how many rounds of 30/06 Match ammo I fired over a five year period! After being discharged from the military I started an aviation business which offered me a little more time but since agricultural aviation required being on the job all summer and Fall...I was knocked completely out of the shooting seasons. Since early childhood and learning how to read I read all the usual available information concerning our forebears dating from the mid 1700s, to the Mountain Men era and the usage of firearms which utilized blackpowder. Somewhere around 25 years back I wandered off into shooting Black Powder Cartridge Rifles and I learned a lot concerning all of the various powders, loadings, compression ratios, lubes, bullets, and whatnot! I never competed because as stated previously....Dad taught all three of his sons that work comes first...then pleasure! I was what I call a 'Home Shooter'! Early on, prior to entering into the military I made the purchase of a Hawken type rifle as always lingering in the back of my mind was the question of what could I accomplish shooting a blackpowder muzzleloading rifle? Visions of Jim Bridger and Jereimiah Johnson for some reason kept invading my thoughts. After shooting the rifle I had made purchase of I was not impressed with the accuracy it delivered. I tried various loadings/bullets, powders...and the best I could get that rifle to shoot using conical projectiles was about a six inch group at 100 yards. I probably gave that rifle away and from that time there was a long exodus away from muzzleloading rifles. During the latter years of my BPCR experience the Inline muzzleloading rifles became popular! I didn't buy one! Still lingering in the back of my mind were visions of Hawken muzzleloaders with beautiful maple stocks and hickory ramrods! As I was forevermore wondering about what the accuracy of a well made custom muzzleloading rifle would be I finally bit the bullet and bought one from a major supplier. It's a half-stock .54 caliber left hand Hawken made by Green River Rifle Works out of Utah. I have not been displeased as it is a very accurate rifle and of superb quality in fit and finish. Shortly after I made purchase of another rifle I found advertised by Tom Watson over in Georgia. Tom had put notice of this rifle on the American Long Rifles site and after talking with Tom...we had a deal! This rifle is a full-stock flintlock in .50 caliber and I might add that Tom is a first rate builder in my opinion! Out of many surprises I've had in my experience with various rifles over a 65 year period of shooting...this flinter has been the most surprising of all for it has shot some groups for me that I considered astounding from 100 yards. It will shoot any loading from 80-100 grs. KIK 2F powder equally well. I pulled the Lock from this rifle last week and sent off to L & R Lock Company for a rework and I'm fully assured that it will come back in top-notch condition. The performance of both of these PRB shooters has been a real 'eye-widening' experience!

In conclusion I'd just like to add that I am really proud that we have a site like this to come to and relate our experiences and many thanks to those responsible for maintaining it because to do so takes constant care and watchfulness! At age 77.....you may have noticed in the subject title that I did not put 'old man'; rather just an older man because my younger brother who is 67 and a male nurse practitioner advises that 80..is no longer considered 'old'! Brother Dick advises that he has many old Vets that he tenders medical care to that are in their 90s and still going strong. I post this as sort of a 'public service notice' to any of our older shooters to PERK UP; you've got a few more to go yet before taps are sounded! So...in retrospect I no longer have to sit long hours casting bullets,  (Hornady makes swaged RB) cleaning metallic cartridge casings, resizing cases, seating primers, trimming cases, cutting and rolling paper patches, etc! I can put everything I need in a carrying pouch if need be and go have a fun time in shooting rifles that our forebears were blessed with! I often wonder about how many 'Home Shooters' of muzzleloading traditional rifles that may be out their like myself?? There have to be many! I wish they'd all come to this forum and introduce themselves!

And that's how 'my stick floats'!!
"There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"

Offline Steven Goselin

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 728
Re: The Ramblings of an older man!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 06:45:28 AM »
Great read. Thanks.
"The .44 spoke and it said lead and smoke and 17" of flame" from Mr. Shorty by Marty Robbins

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 07:47:42 AM »
Darn good ramblings, Hawken!  :bl th up
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 04:46:47 PM »
Ramble On
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 06:14:01 PM »
Ramble On
Good solid ramblings that tell a story are indeed a good thing, ramble on.

:hairy

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 12:14:58 PM »
Hey Hawken,
Good words, there.
I just bet there are quite a few of us that have similar stories.
I'm not sure when I shot a gun for the first time.  I just don't remember it happening, it seems like I have always been shooting.  What I do know is it would have been with my grandfather, it was probably around his old boyhood home in very northern California and the rifle would have been his trusty old deer rifle, a Winchester Model 55 in .30-30.  Try as I may, I cannot recall the first shot, although I do remember shooting it like forever.  We would walk a couple of miles to his uncles' old farm and I would get to shoot knot holes out of the barn's walls.  This was when I was 4 or 5, so I have no reason to doubt that it had been going on for a while.  But when did it start?  Not a clue.  After the knots were all gone, I switched to shooting pine cones out of the trees, and anything else that looked a likely target.
Ah, great old times.
Thanks for bring those memories back to the surface.  They're always warm and fuzzy things to remember.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Hawken

• TMA Forum Member
  • "A man's WORD....is his total value!"
  • TMA Member: TMA Member #802 Expiration 05-04-2021
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 10:13:20 PM »
Hey Hawken,
Good words, there.
I just bet there are quite a few of us that have similar stories.
I'm not sure when I shot a gun for the first time.  I just don't remember it happening, it seems like I have always been shooting.  What I do know is it would have been with my grandfather, it was probably around his old boyhood home in very northern California and the rifle would have been his trusty old deer rifle, a Winchester Model 55 in .30-30.  Try as I may, I cannot recall the first shot, although I do remember shooting it like forever.  We would walk a couple of miles to his uncles' old farm and I would get to shoot knot holes out of the barn's walls.  This was when I was 4 or 5, so I have no reason to doubt that it had been going on for a while.  But when did it start?  Not a clue.  After the knots were all gone, I switched to shooting pine cones out of the trees, and anything else that looked a likely target.
Ah, great old times.
Thanks for bring those memories back to the surface.  They're always warm and fuzzy things to remember.
John

John

Well...my first would have been a Red Ryder BB gun but I can vaguely remember that my grandfather had a single shot .22 rifle, can't recall the model/make but he would lay it on the floor in front of his chair while he listened to Lowell Thomas and let me play with it and when I got tired he would take his shoe off and I'd lay on the floor and he'd rub my back until I went to sleep. This would have been around '44-'45...the war years! Noone....was allowed to make noise when Lowell Thomas was on! As you...I cannot recall NOT HAVING some kind of firearm to shoot my entire life! It would be best if we use our time remaining in the same manner!

Take care!
"There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 10:11:16 AM »
It would be best if we use our time remaining in the same manner!

Sage advice, indeed.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 03:05:09 PM »
Personally, I like most any desultory philippic, pedagogy, narrative or relating of a journey.   Your journey is probably much like many other's.  I started with BB guns but went to muzzleloaders next.  Shortly after, I got involved with suppository guns and sort of alternated, somewhat.  It's only been the last 20 to 25 years that I've begun to taper off and then leave modern guns behind entirely.  It's been a very long time since I've hunted with anything smokeless.  I sold most of them to get another flintlock and so on.  I still, on occasion, exercise some of them but for some it has been years since they enjoyed the shooting range.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.