Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Bag Making Question  (Read 554 times)

Spotted Bull

Bag Making Question
« on: June 16, 2010, 09:19:08 AM »
OK, I got some 3 to 4 oz veg tan and wanna make a nice old looking bag out of it...actually I got a lot and wanna make a lot of bag, but anyway...

A series of questions:

1.What is the best procedure for working this leather into something nice and soft and dyed?  I know to get it wet and work in and wrinkle it and all that but is that all?

2. Best method to dye, say a nice dark brown or really really dark reddish brown?  Should I dye then sew or other way around?

3. Is there a book that gives really good info on dyes and so forth that don't come out of a plastic bottle bought at Tandy?

4. How about oiling the leather after its dyed and what type of oil?

I have a copy of TC Albert's book on the way, so if most of the answers are in there just tell me and I can try to wait patiently for the bok to arrive.

Thanks a bunch in advance for all of the help...I do really appreciate it!!

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 09:43:48 AM »
Bull,
We always used 5-6 oz (HH) oil tan leather for all the bags we made.  It's also called re-tanned leather, or in some circled blacksmith sides.
Never did make any out of veg tan, so I guess I just cannot answer your question.  Sorry.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline rickevans

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Supporting Member #232 ....... Expires 7/5/19
  • TMA Member: 232
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 11:52:04 AM »
Free advise and worth every penny:

I use veg tanned cow leather, because that is what I had. Also some elk and deer professionally tanned, not sure how.  

Cut, sew, stain/dye/age. I have used the alcohol analine dyes with good success. I get them from Three Rivers Archer.  They can be blended and over dyed (try red over brown over black) to give a worn mottled color. Someone here turned me onto White's Heavy Duty Leather Dressing and I have been very happy with the results.

Best of luck!
R. C. (Rick) Evans
TMA# 232 Expires 7/5/22
Honorable Company of Horners
Contemporary Longrifle Association
Life Member NRA