Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Winter projects?  (Read 1072 times)

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
Winter projects?
« on: December 12, 2022, 10:51:01 AM »
With winter setting in it's time to get in the shop, basement, garage and get busy! so what's everyone working on this winter? I'm finishing up our move and setting up the new shop, hoping to get back at ML stuff by mid January, have some bags to finish up and at least a dozen horns in various stages of construction and a couple rifles and a pistol to finish, at this rate I'll be busy till September! :Doh! OH I forgot the early English trade gun kit that's been collecting dust for the last 8 years! ;banghead;
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
Re: Winter projects?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2022, 11:36:19 AM »
Let's see,  winter projects..... Well, 40 lbs of lead needs casting into .32,.36,.40, .45 and .50 caliber round balls. I need to build the new range box, I designed. Since I've learned how to tune lock and triggers, I'll need to do 4 more Rifles and 6 pistols.  Oh yeah, the 3 CVA Rifles need the stocks refinished and the Underhammer, too. All the brass needs polishing or maybe I should just blacken it. I'd like to fancy up my plain Jane Tomahawk. I'd like to learn wood carving,too.

Good thing I'm retired with nothing to do......  ?
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2022, 01:06:44 PM »
I need to squeeze about 100 square feet of garage room into 65 sq ' that is available.  Once that hurdle is overcome, then I think I will start building some powder horns again.  I will have been retired about 3 years in January, and I am getting mighty bored.  I have some nice Damascus knife blades that need scales and handles installed as well.
Other than those important things that need done, the weeds are overtaking the place and I need to finish building a little section of wall.  And as always, there is stuff to go through and get rid of.  That never ends.
John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online KDubs

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2022, 08:57:06 AM »
I'm going to shovel snow for awhile. :luff:
 Bags, balls, horns etc.  I'm always doing something.
 Just bought a 1980s blue fin 16ft boat that needs some TLC
   [ Invalid Attachment ]
These are some colonial lanterns I'm fiddlin with.
Kevin
TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2022, 11:31:23 AM »
Winter projects???????  :Doh!
Either I'm slowing down, or time is speeding up,.... I don't even have all my SUMMER projects done yet!!!!!  ;banghead;  :scared:
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Butler Ford 40

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2022, 03:13:09 AM »
     I have a new to me 32 flinter that needs most everything, Bag, horn, measure, ball board, patch knife and sheath, patch strips cut and lubed, flint and tools pouch and a turnscrew and flint knapper to go in it, short start, vent pick, balls cast, load development, strike-a-lite kit (at least striker, tin and char), small skinning knife suitable for skunk, ground hog, yote, squirrel and rabbit, guess I'll need another sheath for it too (guess I could use the patch knife but where's the fun in that?)?  Gonna need a haversack to tote the comfort accessories.  Never ends, does it!?
Might need a bedroll harness and make an oil cloth in case I want to go the night before so's I can get an early start the next morning or if I hunt late.  :*:  Might need to make a little hardtack, jerky or pemmican in case I don't get lucky.  I probably need to make a new hunting shirt, I've kinda outgrown my old one.   ;banghead; :bigsmile:
     I figure I have forgotten somethings and won't know it till I need it.  :Doh! Still learning.

Lord, make my words as sweet as honey for tomorrow I may have to eat them.  Amen

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2022, 05:45:21 AM »
But other than that, sounds like you're ready to go, Bill. :Doh!
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2022, 10:03:19 AM »
     I have a new to me 32 flinter that needs most everything, Bag, horn, measure, ball board, patch knife and sheath, patch strips cut and lubed, flint and tools pouch and a turnscrew and flint knapper to go in it, short start, vent pick, balls cast, load development, strike-a-lite kit (at least striker, tin and char), small skinning knife suitable for skunk, ground hog, yote, squirrel and rabbit, guess I'll need another sheath for it too (guess I could use the patch knife but where's the fun in that?)?  Gonna need a haversack to tote the comfort accessories.  Never ends, does it!?
Might need a bedroll harness and make an oil cloth in case I want to go the night before so's I can get an early start the next morning or if I hunt late.  :*:  Might need to make a little hardtack, jerky or pemmican in case I don't get lucky.  I probably need to make a new hunting shirt, I've kinda outgrown my old one.   ;banghead; :bigsmile:
     I figure I have forgotten somethings and won't know it till I need it.  :Doh! Still learning.

So that will keep you busy for a week, what's next?
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"