Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Flintlocks, if you could only own one?  (Read 3557 times)

Offline russ t frizzen

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2009, 01:48:05 PM »
I'd go with my 10 bore long fowler. It can be loaded light or heavy with shot for fowl and small game, and with a patched 600 grain ball should be capable of taking any big game on the continent. And an ounce and a half of buckshot just might keep the two legged rodents away as well!
TMA Charter Member #29
N.M.L.R.A. Member
NRA Endowment Life Member

Offline WhiteBlanket

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2009, 12:14:54 AM »
Another vote for the .62 cal. smoothbore - specifically as my ERA French trade gun:

[/img]
TMA Member No. 316

Etienne de la Haye dit Sansquartier
Marchand des Vins et Eaux-de-Vie

Offline bluelake

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shinmiyangyo.org
  • TMA Member: 424
(No subject)
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2009, 12:30:49 AM »
Quote from: "Morgan"
I'm 49 and got to admit in the last couple of years I "feel" the sight picture more than I "see" it now.

"Use the force, Morgan..."  ;)

I'm about your age and I know what you mean.  My eyesight isn't what it used to be, but I hope to be shooting for many more years to come.
Member #424

Offline russ t frizzen

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2009, 11:13:38 AM »
Even with eyeglasses I've reached this point. Rear sights are now of small value, but instinctive "point and shoot" techniques work just fine! I guess old dogs can learn new tricks.
TMA Charter Member #29
N.M.L.R.A. Member
NRA Endowment Life Member

Offline Lastmohecken

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2009, 09:34:23 AM »
Well, I am still waiting for my .62 fowler from Jackie Brown. It was promised a couple of weeks ago, but I havn't gotten it yet. It will have a 44 inch barrel. I havn't had a gun with that long a barrle before, but it seems that with guns that long, they should point pretty good.

I can still see a rear sight, if it's a good sight, but my fowler does not have one, so we will see.
TMA # 496  8/16/09

Offline Morgan

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://colonialbackwoods.proboards83.com/index.cgi
(No subject)
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2009, 03:33:44 PM »
When you get it, I hope that you will post pictures and give us a reveiw of the general fit and finish...and of course a report of how it shoots.

Morgan
Member #503  Expires 8/30/10
"It is when people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." Patrick Henry (1736 - 1799)

http://colonialbackwoods.proboards83.com/index.cgi

Offline Lastmohecken

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2009, 08:54:01 PM »
Quote from: "Morgan"
When you get it, I hope that you will post pictures and give us a reveiw of the general fit and finish...and of course a report of how it shoots.

Morgan

I will be looking foward to it.
TMA # 496  8/16/09

Offline jtwodogs

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2009, 10:19:52 PM »
Hopefully one of these days a .62 Chambers mark silver.
#423 renew 3/14/10
George Washington
" It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and Bible."
 May 12, 1779

Offline tg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2009, 09:40:07 PM »
Here is THE gun for me, I found it after many years of shooting different styles, bore sizes and other little differences, I chose a "replica" of a French hunting gun, ordinary type from the town of Tulle, 44" barrel, Walnut stock, iron (steel) furniture and .58 bore, no rear sight, it will shoot ball sizes from .535-.570 and does well with shot to 20 yds give or take uasing a standard shot coloum minus the big fiber wad, may used halh a wad or some wasp nest I need to play around with shot more, the ball s good to 50 yds 40 is even better.  Jackie Browns gun are nice fitting and good shooting guns, at least the one I had was, the only thing I did not like was that the oct part of the barrel was not tapered on mine the taper started after the wedding band

Offline bluelake

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shinmiyangyo.org
  • TMA Member: 424
(No subject)
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2009, 09:58:31 PM »
Well, this past summer, I had fun with my .45 cal. matchlock and two flinter pistols (.45 and .50 cal.).  This next summer, I'm hoping to add two flintlock rifles to the bunch.  I would like to have a .32 cal. and also a Baker.  It's too hard to choose just one!  :horse
Member #424

Offline Buffler Razz

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2009, 10:13:54 PM »
My Chambers 58cal Mark Silver is it. She has sentimental value as I put her together, bled on her a number of times in the process too.
Buffler Razz
aka Ron Razzolini
TMA Member 348
THE TMA "NEEDS" YOU!...JOIN TODAY

Offline Mike R

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2009, 09:26:40 AM »
Well, I understand the predominance of smoothbore choices-- as a practical decision I cannot fault it.  But I like flintlock RIFLES.  Now here is the rub--one rifle cannot do it all very well.  Being sort of a collector at heart, and being lucky enough to have been able to accumulate several rifles [and a couple of smoothies] over the years in various calibers, I'd be hard pressed to pick just one!  I find myself alternating rifles --you can only carry ONE AT A TIME.  I am not mainly a big game hunter, but have big game rifles in abundance in .45, .50 and .54 [2 of each of these bores]--I traded off my .58 rifle and gave away my .40 [not legal to hunt with in Lousyanna]--and I have one 20 gauge left of 2 I've had. For small game rifle I have only a .32--go figure [I traded off a .36 years ago].  If forced to chose just one rifle I'd have to retain my oldest .45, that I made myself and still love the best--but I'd also have to keep the 20 gauge Tulle fusil as a reenactment gun. But it would be hard to give up any of the others...
Ch Mbr#53 ,dues in Feb

Offline AZ Longrifle

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2009, 04:08:27 PM »
My pick, either a Flintlock or Matchlock 20ga smoothbore, by Leonard Day. I have 1 of each and would be hard pressed to make a choice unless I needed to do so. I can't find flint locally, but I can make all the match cord I need from Hemp or Jute twine.

If it were an "End-of-the-world-as-we-know-it" scenario, I'd realistically grab my M60E3 or my MG-42 and a truck bed full of ammo and spare parts!  ;)

Offline madcaster

• TMA Forum Member
ONLY ONE?
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2009, 01:39:52 AM »
And I served in the Armed Forces for FREEDOM? :shock:
 Just a kiddin! :happy

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
(No subject)
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2009, 11:14:25 AM »
You mean kinda like those 19th century Scots who hung knives, swords, and pistols on their costumed persons till you could hardly tell there was a kilt there?
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393