Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Choke tube question  (Read 503 times)

Offline Quartermaster James

• TMA Forum Member
Choke tube question
« on: October 08, 2009, 01:42:03 PM »
If a fowling piece has been fitted for choke tubes, is it no longer suitable for shooting round ball too?
TMA Member #506 - Membership Expires 09/23/11
Barlow Trail Long Rifles
Washington State Muzzleloaders Association

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 03:44:36 PM »
Of course not!  You may find that you need a cylinder or skeet choke to get the ball to load and shoot safely.  You need to determine which type of threading you have as different brands of tubes have different thread pitch.  I had a modern 16 gauge retro-fitted for tubes, and my tubes are Carlson's brand, flush mounted, for Winchester brand shotguns.  Carlson's makes just about every kind of choke you could wish for.
LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline Lastmohecken

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 07:50:40 PM »
By concidence I just got through cutting about 8 inches off of a side by side 10ga percussion shotgun, that had screw in chokes.

I personally just didn't like the choke tubes, and I wanted a shorter lighter gun anyway. One problem I had was tearing the patches on the notches, that are required so the choke wrench has something to hook on to, and it was something else I felt I had to deal with everytime I cleaned it after shooting.

I never could hit anything with this gun, anyway, until I installed rifle sights on it. So, I am going to put the front sight back on, and make it a 10ga roundball gun for close range deer hunting, etc. Of course it will probably still shoot shot, too, just maybe not as tight a pattern.

Now, I will have a fast handling, short, and powerful weapon. Accuracy will have to be determined later.
TMA # 496  8/16/09

Offline Quartermaster James

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 06:56:04 PM »
Thanks guys!
TMA Member #506 - Membership Expires 09/23/11
Barlow Trail Long Rifles
Washington State Muzzleloaders Association