Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: wads  (Read 430 times)

Offline dennyhawk

• TMA Forum Member
wads
« on: February 10, 2010, 09:12:13 AM »
just wondering if anybody here has tried using nitro cards as a over powder wad in a .54 cal rifle when shooting a ball.
Denny
Member #301
Joined Oct 4th, 2007

Offline followed by

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 03:38:33 PM »
I use over powder wads in my smooth bores as they tend to blow through patches if I don't. My rifles have never shown a need for them!
NRA Life
NMLRA Life
Ohio State Trappers Life
Longhunter Measurer

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 03:53:53 PM »
If I am using heavy powder charges, I do.  I find that 20 ga cushion wads work well in my .62, 14 ga wads in the .69 and 12 ga. in the .72 and of course, 8 ga in the 8 bore.
On my rifles, 150 grains of powder seems to be the point where I start to get burnt patches.
I also find that by pushing a cushion wad down it wipes the bore of fouling and leaves a light coat of lube on the barrel, making it easier to wipe of the crud on the next shot.
Also, in chronograph tests, I have found that having the additional sealing properties of the wad, I get a little better velocity out of a given charge using the wad.
A 28 ga wad will work pretty good in .54 and .58 rifles.
And of course, there is the old weasel clause, YMMV.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline dennyhawk

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 04:58:21 PM »
Thanks guys!
I just like the idea of getting of getting a good seal.
I've not really had blow-by problems,I just like the idea of getting everything I can get from my rifle, both in accuracy & power.
I don't use what I consider heavy charges....80 gr of 3fff, with a .535 home cast  R.B., and a .015 patch, lubed with pure pork lard.
But it just stands to reason in my mind that there must surly be some gas escaping on each shot. :rt th
Denny
Member #301
Joined Oct 4th, 2007