Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Rifle Value...  (Read 432 times)

Spotted Bull

Rifle Value...
« on: November 13, 2012, 02:59:13 PM »
If this is the wrong place to ask this, Mods please move it to the correct location.

My pastor has an Uberti Santa Fe Hawken that he is thinking about selling. It is in tip top shape, aside from an ever-so-slight wiggle in the hammer. He was wondering what an appropriate asking price would be for such a fine firearm. I thought that this would be the best group of folks to ask that question.

Thanks in advance.

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
Re: Rifle Value...
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 05:33:27 PM »
David,
According to the 6th edition of the Blue Book of Modern Black Powder Arms, the Uberti Santa Fe Hawken in 100% condition is $395, 98% is $335, 90% is 245 and 80% is $205.  It says the last MSRP was $420.
This book is a few years old now and prices have undoubtedly changed a bit since it was current.  I would certainly consider this a real low ball valuation on that rifle, especially.  I checked the Pedersoli Hawken and it also runs about the same prices, and I am sure the last time I saw a Pedersoli Hawken with a maple stock, it was in the $1,000 range, MSRP.  So, that's what I got.
Sorry i am not involved in the trade anymore or I might have a bettler idea.
Is that a .53 cal or a true .54?
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Spotted Bull

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 06:29:38 PM »
Not sure but I am guessing a .54...

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 06:31:42 PM »
Depending on when they were made, the earlier ones would not take a .530 ball easily, they needed a .520 in order to load conveniently.
A mallet and .005 patching were the order with .530's.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 08:51:56 AM »
Never having owned or shot that particular rifle , I can only offer my idea of the valules listed by BS from the Blue Book.  It seems that the prices listed are quite relistic and , not a steal , but seems to be fair value . I,m certain that most folks here watc the market on used production guns and have noticed a steady climb. It appears to have leveled off to a great extent.  There will always be certain guns that for either realor imagined reasons will always demand much higher resale prices. The TC Sennaca , cherokee , Browning Mt. rifle , Older CVA Mt. riflesw/ American made barels/parts .etc.  But remember if you are buying a gun to use , condition and quality of parts determine the average price .
           I may be "all wet" , but it seems prices have leveled offf , and even declined in the last few months.           :th up
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013

Offline snake eyes

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
  • TMA Member: 10
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 09:14:34 AM »
Quote from: "Roaring Bull"
He was wondering what an appropriate asking price would be for such a fine firearm.Thanks in advance.
RB,
     Some photos would be of some great help,but certainly not definitive. Sometimes,
at least for me,it is hard to grade a gun even holding it......I will say I have never seen
any gun,for sale, advertized as in tip-top condition :shake
John
Erin Go Bragh
TMA Co -Founder & Charter member #10 to   7/1/2019
Ohio TMA State Rep[/color]
Life member: NAHC
Life member: NRA
Member: Columbus M/L GC

"If you come to a fork in the road....take it!"
    Yogi Berra