Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Double Rifles  (Read 551 times)

Offline Ironhand

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Supporting Member # 664, Expiration 5/4/2019
Double Rifles
« on: April 08, 2014, 09:50:17 PM »
My local shop has two CVA 50 cal double rifles for sale. One is a sxs and one is an o/u. Any one have experience with these?

IIRC the o/u had a rep for being hard to regulate so of course that is the one with the best price.  :shock:

I am really interested in these but would would appreciate some info before I buy.

Thanks
Ironhand
Place your clothes and your weapons where you can find them in the dark.

Lazarus Long

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
Re: Double Rifles
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 10:52:58 PM »
If the sxs has two sights, then regulating won't be a problem.  Just sight each barrel.  If it only has one sight, that ups the ante.
My only experience has been with double guns of larger bore size.  Never tried a CVA, let alone even held one.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 04:57:34 PM »
i have never seen a CVA  express  styled rifle with regulated barrels  so as big smoke suggest , one is going to be just as  fun to use as the other .
 Double sights , IE one on each barrel , doesn’t really work all that well because you line of sight is between  the barrels  and down the center rib .  So what I did was buy as set of express rifles sights . They give you two  different  fences on the rear sight . Thus you can use one for each barrel .
 Same goes for the O/U . .

Offline trent/OH

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 12:31:12 PM »
I bought one years ago because I was seeing pairs or more of deer every time I saw deer while hunting, and was allowed to take two. But as you suspect, each barrel strikes a different point. The best I could do was sight in the left barrel, and the right barrel would strike about 8" right and 4" high at 40 yards, IIRC. I thought of putting a different set of sights on the right barrel, but knew I would have trouble remembering which trigger went with which set of sights. So I sold it and can't say that I've missed it much, although if regulated it would make Running Boar a little easier.

Offline Ironhand

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Supporting Member # 664, Expiration 5/4/2019
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 06:50:23 PM »
Well I done it. I traded for one of the double rifles. I got the over/under gun. It was cheaper and in better condition.
Besides I have a Berreta 12 gauge bp shotgun that is made on the same action. Now I have a set, sort of.

I also got the o/u because I thought it might be easier to regulate since the sights are in line with both barrels in at least one axis and are mounted directly on one barrel.

The barrels are 6 groove and look to have a slow twist. There is a patent breach. Should be interesting to work up a load.
Another interesting feature is that the front trigger fires the left hammer/bottom barrel. My shotgun is front trigger/upper barrel/righr hammer.
Place your clothes and your weapons where you can find them in the dark.

Lazarus Long

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 10:45:46 PM »
That's a long way for the spark to travel to the bottom barrel.  Keeping that passage clear of oil is a must.  Might even think of using musket caps?
Anyway, looking forward to a range report on the rifle.
Hope it does everything you want it to.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life