Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: T/C White Mountain Carbine re barrel  (Read 465 times)

Offline smokepole45

• TMA Forum Member
T/C White Mountain Carbine re barrel
« on: March 03, 2015, 09:20:03 PM »
i have a T/C White Mountain Carbine but have never been happy with the accuracy of the gun. I wonder if a T/C Hawken barrel,which is much longer, would fit. Has anyone tried a barrel swap on one of these guns? The White Mountain barrel is octagonal until it leaves the stock.
BTW- the loads are not an issue. I have worked up accurate loads. The problem is the very short sight plane of the barrel.
  Help is appreciated,
Smokepole45

Offline gunmaker

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 715
Re: T/C White Mountain Carbine re barrel
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 07:59:41 PM »
Get one off ebay thats the same width across flats, lots are 15/16" or 1"  May have to move an underlug or something.  Be sure the tang on your gun is same as the other TC's  some are shaped differently....Tom
Member#2184, 11-1-'12

Offline smokepole45

• TMA Forum Member
Re: T/C White Mountain Carbine re barrel
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 09:06:35 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Tom.
  I just now tried the swap using a barrel borrowed from a friends gun. You are correct. They do swap. The channel that the ramrod rides in was not correct in length, otherwise it was a good fit. My White Mountain carbine just doesn't have enough barrel so I am determined to find a longer one. I did find one on E-Bay.
  After perusing this website for just a couple of days I have noticed something. I feel like I am trying to tune up a YUGO, while the rest of you guys are racing Corvettes. This is a whole new and interesting hobby to me.
  I am far from new to marksmanship. In my office hangs a target with 7 holes that can be covered by a fingernail. The shots were taken at 100 yards with a .22 rifle. But this muzzleloader thing? It is a whole new ballgame. I have much to learn.
Thanks so much for your input.