Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: that traditions .32 crockett  (Read 2925 times)

Offline Fletcher

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.glaciertraditionalarchery.com
Re: that traditions .32 crockett
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2015, 07:28:19 PM »
That is what I like - less powder and led for plinkin' give more 'bang for the buck ' :happy
Fletcher the Arrow Maker
Montana TMA State Representative
TMA Charter Member #143 exp 11/4/18
NRA Training Counselor
BSA National Camp School Director -
Shooting Sports
NRA Life Member
Flathead Valley Muzzleloaders

Offline RonC

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 741
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2015, 10:24:46 AM »
You have some little balls, there, but as Fletcher says, little balls, little powder and lots of fun.
Ron

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2015, 06:09:29 AM »
what a blast shooting this little rifle yesterday. i built a birch wood ramrod to replace the aluminum one, and made it lots longer for ease of use. also made a ball starter and cast up a bunch of lee .311 pure lead balls and used .010" linen patch material that's dry lubed with 5% ballistol and spring water. 20 grains of goex 3f and a cci #10 cap (not #11) and off she goes.

i'm not a fan of cap locks, but i heartily recommend that everybody needs this one!

click the image below to see the vid ...

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2015, 10:33:18 AM »
You made a birchwood ramrod for that riflet?  Out of what, a round toothpick? :rotf
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2015, 11:25:45 AM »
Quote from: "bigsmoke"
You made a birchwood ramrod for that riflet?  Out of what, a round toothpick? :rotf

no, a straight-as-an-arrow 5/16" arrow shaft.  :Doh!  :hey-hey

Online Bigsmoke

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2015, 01:00:09 PM »
Toothpick woulda been cheeper.

I'm sorry, here you are, trying to be serious and answer a silly question, and I am just going for the chuckle factor.

I know a toothpick wouldn't work, it isn't long enough.  (Close to the right diameter, though.)  I really hope you enjoy the little rifle.  I also have heard good reports, although in years gone by when we sold them, there were some QC issues that bothered me about the guns, namely lineup of hammer-nipple, function of lock assembly, and fit and finish of furniture to wood.  Hopefully, they have cleaned up those issues by now.  I recall having to ship back a number of them then, probably in the late 1990's?  

John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2015, 01:26:41 PM »
ha ha, yer funny, john.

maybe i got lucky, probably so noting others with traditions firearms issues, but this one's a keeper for sure.

four little 32 holes and a pair of 58's @ 33 yards ...

Online Bigsmoke

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2015, 02:40:04 PM »
:hairy

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2015, 02:34:21 PM »
rfd, I'm pleased that you're pleased!
 :hairy
Does that make sense?
In fact, I am pleased that all those who dearly love the little three-two are pleased, and I suspects that's mostly because it makes me look a bit less silly when I personally praise the many values of this little rifle.

Short story on the little .32;
Years ago, in what would be the early days of muzzleloading for many folks, and that would have have been sometime around, or a bit earlier than 1976, I showed up at a match in Paso Del Norte packin a mighty little three-two flinter.
If I recall just right the laughter started long before the first shot was fired, but that laughter seemed to break into a rolling thunder after I fired the first shot....just the sound of that little pip-squeak sent laughter roaring through the Pass to the North.....unnerving at best! They had suddenly won the psychology of the match before it had gotten underway good.
It was a twenty shot match, five banks of targets, which was standard back in that day, ten off-hand, ten from a rest......
By noon of that same day there was no more laughing, no more cheap shots at my little "pea shooter", nothing but Oohs, and Ahaa's as I very calmly took their money, every last penny of it, as I had easily taken both off-hand, and the rest events...no arguing, no discussion, no measurements required!

Since that day I have been convinced that, for all practical purposes, the mighty little three-two is a winner in many many respects, none of the least being its power when needed, or its lack thereof.

Back in those days it was popular, albeit more than just a mite dangerous, to "load 'em till they crack"!
That "load 'em till they crack" happened somewhere around 43-45gr FFFg in that particular gun, and the tighter the better with the patch......couldn't afford a Chronograph back in those days so I have no clue what the little 47gr pill was doing velocity wise, but the sound was eerie similar to that of a cartridge rifle.
Shortly after this, and a few years before retirement, I was stationed at Ft. McClellan, Alabama...smack dab in the very heart of "Skwerl" country, and then, that same rifle, became the love of my life using 15gr FFFG, as I became a walkin, talkin, singin, hootin, hollerin threat to every Bushytail in the county....and Alabama has some big beautiful Grey Squirrels!
The bag limit back then was very generous, and "southern Skwerl recipes" were aplenty.....it was during this time that I became convinced there was simply nothing better that the gentlemanly art of Squirrel Hunting, which was indeed the Prince of the hunting sports, and that little three-two was that same Gentleman Hunter's choice of firearms.  

And, nothing has ever come along to change that thinkin.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2015, 03:16:21 PM »
ya know, unca russ, since i've been having so much 32 crockett fun i been thinking about a 32 flinter, too - and keb's got one coming up for sale ...

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2015, 08:07:56 AM »
fwiw ...

just found out that all of the traditions firearms sidelock muzzle loaders have "welded" breech plugs.  

attempting to remove any of these plugs will destroy the barrel.

:shock:  :Doh!

ymmv.

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2015, 04:27:00 PM »
Quote from: "rfd"
ya know, unca russ, since i've been having so much 32 crockett fun i been thinking about a 32 flinter, too - and keb's got one coming up for sale ...

That's what happened to me.  My Crockett caused me to love the .32 caliber.  Wasn't too many years later that I started daydreaming of a .32 in a flint longrifle.  Now I'm truly  :happy .
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline RonC

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 741
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2015, 04:30:24 PM »
Now, you fine fellows have done it!
I want a pea-shooter 32 or 36 cal longrifle flintlock, as well!
Ron

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2015, 05:07:14 PM »
aside from the breech plug issue, the crockett is a total blast to both load and shoot!

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2015, 08:26:30 PM »
RonC....the addiction to the little three-two is very easy to come by.
All ya gotta do is try it, it's that simple.

You guys that live in Skwerl Country are truly lucky, and those who do and still don't take a shot or three with the awesome little three-two, you are missing out on some of the very best hunting imaginable.
Other calibers will work just fine too. Never hunted with a .36 but I've shot a few of them over the years.
I have tried "barking" with a .45 but that didn't work out well with Deer loads. I tried a reduced load and after a few hitches I did take a few Squirrel with that.
Never tried a .50 or a .54, never had the need, but I have heard stories....if ya know what I mean.

It has been years now since I hunted the hardwoods, and just as many years since I drew a bead on ol' bushytail.
Hanshi, I totally agree, what with all this talk about one of my favorite calibers, that urge to hunt the mighty Skwerl again is powerfully strong.

To all you "wee-caliber" guys that live for Squirrel hunting, I salute you!
I have always heard, "it's the little things in life that count", well, I now feel quite confident the fella that first said that was most likely referring to the little .32.........

Have fun....that's what Muzzleloading is really all about!

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4