Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Wild Apples  (Read 1548 times)

Offline PJC

• TMA Forum Member
Wild Apples
« on: October 17, 2009, 11:11:42 PM »
Had a neat experience in the woods yesterday.
I was hiking a bit and scouting deer.
I was a bit hungry and came upon this wild apple tree.
I checked it out to see if there was a deer scrape under it.
There was no scrape but the ground was pretty beat up by deer.
I figured they were going after the apples big time.
I grabbed one from the tree. They were the usual small disfigured looking wild apple. I bit into it, expecting the usual wild apple turn your face inside out sour experience. WOW. These tasted  great.
The first inside inch tasted very sweet but kind of dry. The core part of the apple was not like a usual apple core. It had apple seeds but other then that was the same pulp as the rest of the apple only it was almost pure sugar. It also had a hint of fermentation taste. sort of like an apple liquor. I had a couple of these little wild candy apples and my hunger was satisfied. I even made a bit of a detour on the way back to scoup up some more of these treats. There weren't many left on the tree and they were way way out of reach. Just thought I would share this little woods adventure.

Pat Cameron
TMA #472
Exp June 2012

Offline snake eyes

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
  • TMA Member: 10
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 07:17:12 AM »
Pat,
     Yep,I have ate some of those apples and were great at the time,but I always paid for it dearly, the next day.Course that is
just my experience. One thing for sure though,deer love them!
Erin Go Bragh
TMA Co -Founder & Charter member #10 to   7/1/2019
Ohio TMA State Rep[/color]
Life member: NAHC
Life member: NRA
Member: Columbus M/L GC

"If you come to a fork in the road....take it!"
    Yogi Berra

Offline Roaddog

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Paid Member # 247 Expires 3/15 / 2019
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 08:19:04 AM »
Very nice story Pat and thanks for letting us in on it.
Minnesota TMA State Representative

Member #247

Offline Minnesota Mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 10:50:22 AM »
very cool.

r/
MM
TMA number #269.
Expiration Date Oct 2010.

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 08:32:34 AM »
REMEMBER where the tree was old son!  First there are a bunch of apple varieties that have disappeared from the American market, and from common availability, and many east coast arboretums <sp> are fighting to keep the varieties of "heirloom" fruits from disappearing.  You may have found a gem!

I know a fellow who grafted (iirc) three varieties of 18th century apples onto his trees with the help of the CT state arboretum..., and they were quite happy he was willing to help.  Now he shows up at events with very nice, authentic apples.

the other reason to remember is deer!  On the vinyard where I hunt, sombody about a decade ago chucked an apple core from a passing car off the road and into the woods (ok it's a theory but I like it).  Well it fell just inside the treeline, AND..., today a small but fruitfull apple tree grows there..., and the deer come in search of the apples, and I come in search of the deer.  

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline hawkeye

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 09:26:15 PM »
I have 4 wild apple trees in my back yard and they are deer magnets! We have eaten the apples but the deer get most of them.
David M. Ely
Charter Member #141 Exp 1/11
=======================
"Third ball, haul..." Etherington's Coy 60th RAR

Offline vthompson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 09:29:38 PM »
There is an apple tree just like the one described here on a farm that I have access to, and this past fall I rode my 4 wheeler up to it to gather some of the apples and to my surprise their was only 5 that I could find.
My wife and I sat right there on the 4 wheeler and ate all 5 of them. The tree never has produced a lot of apples but what it did produce were wonderful. They were like the ones described here. We were hoping to be able to get enough to freeze and to use for fried apples this winter bit I don't suppose that it was to be so.
Every summer about August I start keeping my eye on it for the fall harvest. Maybe better luck next year.
Take only what you need and leave the rest

West Virginia TMA State Representative[/color]

TMA Member #520
Exp. 12-2011