Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Campfire Trout Recipe  (Read 1563 times)

Offline vthompson

• TMA Forum Member
Campfire Trout Recipe
« on: May 02, 2010, 05:32:25 PM »
My wife and I are leaving tomorrow morning for a week long camping and Trout fishing trip up in the mountains of West Virginia, and I was wondering if any of you guy's had a favorite campfire recipe that I could try out for dinner one evening? Thanks for your time and trouble.

VThompson
Take only what you need and leave the rest

West Virginia TMA State Representative[/color]

TMA Member #520
Exp. 12-2011

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 06:03:59 PM »
Fresh wild trout is one of God's gifts to us.  The only way I've ever prepared them is to clean them thoroughly, remove the heads, then fry them in butter over low to medium heat.  It doesn't take them long to cook.  After you've done two or three, you'll have it down.

I've seen folks scaling trout, but my experience is they don't need it, the scales are so small and delicate they disappear during cooking.

Bon Appetit!

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Offline No Rod

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 80
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 09:22:14 PM »
We have always cooked them is to gut them and rub a little olive oil and pepper on them, wrap them in foil and cook right in the fire. Doesn't take long to cook... when the eyes are cloudy they are done. Can take off the bone with a spoon. wow good eats!

Jon
Get rid of everything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful, the portage will be much easier.

Jon Bertolet
TMA Charter Member #80

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 07:10:03 AM »
My buddy Todd used to do "planked trout".  He'd take the fresh trout, clean it out,  cut off the head, then cut the body so that he could "butterfly" it so it could be opened up, kinda flat.  He'd get a piece of applewood, green, and split it in half.  Then he'd take the trout and lay it skin side down on the flat side of the applewood.  He'd take a nail, and tack down the four corners of the fish, then remove the nail, and replace it with a sliver of applewood, (the nail made the hole for the "peg" but would taint the fish if used to cook),...,  so the fish was open, flesh side up, and fastened to the freshly cut side of the applewood log by applewood pegs.  Then he'd prop it up facing the fire, like a crude reflector, and let it bake.  

I like to take a couple of green branches, apple, maple, hickory will do, and make two "grills" by removing the bark.  Then I fasten one end of each branch into a loop, and criss cross  several smaller, barked twigs to make a "grill" or a "racket".  (I hope this make sense).  I lay the whole cleaned fish on top of one of the grills, then I put the other grill on top of the fish, and tie the two grills together  where the handles start, and at the top of the hoops, tight!  The fish is then sandwiched, with a grill on each side.  I prop it over the fire, not too close, and let it roast.  Turning is easy and instant, (if the setup is tight..., if not you dump the fish into the fire when turning) and it's done when the top or dorsal fin comes loose with a gentle tug of the fingers.   I like this as a no utensil cooking demonstration for Boy Scouts and other kids.

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline Fletcher

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.glaciertraditionalarchery.com
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 10:01:50 AM »
When I go fishin-campin, the cast iron goes too.  Try a premix shaker of 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 cup corn meal in a bag.  A generous shake of salt, pepper and Mrs. Dash original spice mix into the zip-Loc bag.

You can shake the whole fish (cleaned and rinsed) in the bag, or cut off the head and tail if the fish too big or the bag too small!

Fry in peanut oil (unless you are allergic to goobers)

A little lemon and butter on the top when done and what a treat!

Goes well with rice or taters.

I think I better close the shop and go fishin!
Fletcher the Arrow Maker
Montana TMA State Representative
TMA Charter Member #143 exp 11/4/18
NRA Training Counselor
BSA National Camp School Director -
Shooting Sports
NRA Life Member
Flathead Valley Muzzleloaders

Offline No Deer

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 78
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 07:07:02 AM »
Gut out the fish, put a few (to taste) onion rings inside along with a pat of butter, sprinkle some black pepper, add a bit of lemon juice (or wedge of lemon) and wrap in aluminum foil and set over the fire.  Turn it a couple of times.  Doesn't take long to cook.
Life is too important to take seriously.

TMA Charter member #78
Valid until 8/16/2015
President, Lansing Muzzleloading Gun Club
Visit us at: Lansing Muzzle Loading Gun Club

Offline vthompson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 11:38:44 AM »
We got back from our camping trip and boy did we eat some Trout. After I cleaned them my wife would coat them with corn meal and then fry them in a little butter over the campfire.
After they were done she would sprinkle some paprika over them and then squeeze some lemon juice on them. Boy were they good.

TMA Member #520
Exp. 12-2011

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #20
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 12:30:27 PM »
Quote from: "vthompson"
We got back from our camping trip and boy did we eat some Trout. After I cleaned them my wife would coat them with corn meal and then fry them in a little butter over the campfire.
After they were done she would sprinkle some paprika over them and then squeeze some lemon juice on them. Boy were they good.

Okay, I shouldn't read this at "almost lunch-time"... Did you guys hear my stomach growl?
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline R.M.

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 134
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 12:54:26 PM »
Quote from: "Riley/MN"
Okay, I shouldn't read this at "almost lunch-time"... Did you guys hear my stomach growl?
Nope, couldn't hear it over all the noise mine was making.
R.M.
 :Canada
TMA Charter Member #134   Exp. 11/14
Join the TMA. For the money, it's the best BOOM for your 15 bucks.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 07:44:32 PM »
What does one do to dry out a computer keyboard after one has salivated onto it?

:shock:

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline Fletcher

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.glaciertraditionalarchery.com
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 10:42:08 PM »
Talk about good cookin on the PC will get you into trouble.  Best to wear a bib and drape it over the keys as you see the pictures or start to ponder the recipes!
Fletcher the Arrow Maker
Montana TMA State Representative
TMA Charter Member #143 exp 11/4/18
NRA Training Counselor
BSA National Camp School Director -
Shooting Sports
NRA Life Member
Flathead Valley Muzzleloaders

Offline snake eyes

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
  • TMA Member: 10
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 08:20:00 AM »
Quote from: "No Deer"
Gut out the fish, put a few (to taste) onion rings inside along with a pat of butter, sprinkle some black pepper, add a bit of lemon juice (or wedge of lemon) and wrap in aluminum foil and set over the fire.  Turn it a couple of times.  Doesn't take long to cook.

I don't eat a lot of trout in the wild,almost,as a matter of fact never.But I do buy whole rainbows,gutted with heads on and cook them on the charchol grill. I stuff them with lemon slices,some
rosemary sprigs and a bit of thyme.Wipe with olive oil,in and out
generously.Wrap very loosely in foil and poke foil with fork.
Grill over a low heat charchol,turning no more that one time.
It does not take long....even on a low heat.....3/4 minutes per side. Do not over-cook.
      TIP After removing from grill,let set a few
minutes before unwrapping foil.
snake-eyes :shake
Erin Go Bragh
TMA Co -Founder & Charter member #10 to   7/1/2019
Ohio TMA State Rep[/color]
Life member: NAHC
Life member: NRA
Member: Columbus M/L GC

"If you come to a fork in the road....take it!"
    Yogi Berra

Offline vthompson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 09:59:17 AM »
Thank's for the ideas guy's. I will try some of your recipes the next time that we go Trout fishing.

TMA Member #520
Exp. 12-2011