Traditional Firearms > Flintlock Long Guns

Type G English trade gun!?!

<< < (2/4) > >>

tg:
I think Brooks and Coogle are the only ones who make a true type G or Carolina gun

tg:
This is an example of what is considered to be a G or Carolina gun by most of the serious gun students, they go back to the 17th century likely with little change in appearance

http://www.flintriflesmith.com/Antiques ... de_gun.htm

James Kelly:
Look over caywoodguns.com   Their Wilson trade gun is an English gun with appropriate serpent sideplate and whatever you call those ribbed-looking thimbles. Couple guys I shoot with have them & are most pleased. I recently got a French type D, fine workmanship. Also available in kits. I like the fact that their barrels are made from the same steel as in modern shotguns. Most other barrels, save Green Mountain, are just screw stock.

mario:

--- Quote from: "James Kelly" ---Look over caywoodguns.com   Their Wilson trade gun is an English gun with appropriate serpent sideplate and whatever you call those ribbed-looking thimbles. Couple guys I shoot with have them & are most pleased. I recently got a French type D, fine workmanship. Also available in kits. I like the fact that their barrels are made from the same steel as in modern shotguns. Most other barrels, save Green Mountain, are just screw stock.
--- End quote ---

Yes, but the Wilson is not a Type G/Carolina Gun. It is a copy of the O'Connor gun in Hamilton's book.

Wilawane,

Your only options at this point are Mike Brooks (http://www.fowlingguns.com) and Ben Coogle.

Brooks offers a kit as well as a finished gun.

Mario

Captchee:
yes caywood makes fine  rifles  but mario is right , the wilson is not a Type G .
 the most distinctive thing about the  type G or what  many call the Type G  IMO is the wrist  area .
 its not round  its ovel and its on its side . IE wider on the sides then through its  top and bottom thinkness .

what steels are best or  used for barrels  is a completely different store  and with out a Proofing , it means little

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version