Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: of ball starters and muzzle coning  (Read 1772 times)

Offline Sir Michael

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Store
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #132
Re: of ball starters and muzzle coning
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2016, 06:44:23 PM »
I tend to agree.  My research indicates that fowlers, muskets, and rifles were bored by the maker to accept a certain sized ball (based on the number of balls per pound of lead generally in whole numbers).  Some makers opened up the bore to provide "windage" of about 0.010".  Other made at the purchasers request a "high bore" with no windage resulting in a ball that had to be pushed down the barrel with no patching what so ever or as a "low bore" where the ball would freely roll down the barrel t the breach.  I've come to the conclusion that we today put a lot of our preferences on to those of the past that they didn't have.  Rifles, fowlers, muskets, and trade guns today have bores that are not historically accurate in any way other than being round since we shoot balls made to specific even diameters e.g. .500, .450, .600, .455 none of which correspond to the balls used during the time.  Our need for tight fitting balls and patches to achieve the groups we consider acceptable appear to be far tighter than even the capabilities of the barrels of the time.

Loading I suspect was a product of the immediate need as you say.  When hunting, enough patching to improve the odds of hitting the deer was important.  When defending yourself, speed was all that counted.  If the other guy was dodging your balls he couldn't shoot back and if you're lucky you might even get a hit.

As for the short starter, it had to have been invented and used to some benefit during the 18th C. otherwise in 1800 it would not have surfaced in documentation.
Sir Michael
Charter Member #132

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2016, 06:54:27 PM »
Quote from: "Sir Michael"
... As for the short starter, it had to have been invented and used to some benefit during the 18th C. otherwise in 1800 it would not have surfaced in documentation.

i fully agree, sir.  but since SO FAR it hasn't popped up in historical writing, and i'll theorize that at best it was in the vast minority.

Offline Hawken

• TMA Forum Member
  • "A man's WORD....is his total value!"
  • TMA Member: TMA Member #802 Expiration 05-04-2021
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2016, 01:38:04 PM »
Only one thing worse than having to be 'historically correct'....and that's being 'politically correct'!

I'll continue to use the SS!!
"There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"

Offline Flinchlock

• TMA Forum Member
  • Oft muß Mann "zum Teufel damit"
    • reenactor.Net
  • TMA Member: TMA Member #819. Membership expiration 11/24/2022
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2019, 02:16:36 PM »
I'm just going to buy a coning tool from the Firelock Shop... I think it would do what I want.
Marsh Wise
Ah likes flintlocks, but any gun is good -- okay, guns that hurt to shoot aren't good.

Head Village Idiot at www.reenactor.Net and www.romanobritain.org