Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Northstar West  (Read 1784 times)

Offline micah223

• TMA Forum Member
Northstar West
« on: August 13, 2016, 07:59:44 PM »
Does anyone own a Northstar West Early Northwest Tradegun or the Northwest Tradegun? If so what barrel length did you choose ? I currently own a 30" trade gun from a local builder. It is ok , but I like the idea of a period correct Tradegun. I have never held a 36" or the 41" Tradegun . I do have several long rifles with 42" barrel but was looking for some input from actual owners.

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
Re: Northstar West
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 08:17:43 AM »
imho, much past a 24" barrel only makes for a better iron sight aiming plane and contributes little to accuracy.  if you are looking to replicate a specific gun, then its length is what you want.  if yer not sure about barrel lengths, do the research - here are some that may help ...

Indian Trade Guns – Thefurtrapper.com

Some Observations Concerning Northwest Trade Guns - Edmonton House Brigade

http://americansocietyofarmscollectors. ... Hanson.pdf

Fur Trade Guns | Firearms | Northwest Gun

... other than than, the rest is totally subjective and trade guns of any type, origin, or style have had lotsa different barrel lengths.  the main thing is to happily satisfy yer trade gun goal - go for it!

Offline Keb

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 09:07:58 AM »
I've owned & shot 30', 36" and 41" Northwest Trade guns by Northstar & Northstar West.
They all shot great after figuring out what they liked.

Offline micah223

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 10:02:56 AM »
Did any specific barrel length appeal more than another ? I will use it for deer and squirrel .

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 10:07:26 AM »
please read carefully through the links i posted above.

since trade gun (so'east and nor'west) were prodigiously produced in barrel lengths of 30" thru 42", pick a length that you think will work best for you and still remain "period correct".  

this is YOUR gun, not mine or anyone else's gun, and barrel length is subjectively appropriate to meet your needs and requirements.

Offline micah223

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 10:57:40 AM »
I have read most of the links you posted and appreciate the help. However since I do not currently own the longer lengths of barrels I was looking for input from users. Rather than think about it I hoped to benefit from someone else's experiences. I have done this in the past and it helped me by exposing points I had not considered. I would rather benefit from another's experience than learn from a costly mistake. Thanks again .

Offline Buzzard

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 11:01:04 AM »
Micah, i agree with all of these fellows, it's yours to choose. I own and hunt with several. I prefer to use 42" for game animals, 36" for game birds. Just my thoughts. If you pause to think through your most likely uses, i'm sure you'll figure it out. Your failsafe for everything would then be the 36" in 20ga.
NRA Life
NMLRA Life
TMA Member #258
Ohio State Trappers Life
Longhunter Measurer

Expires 04/09/2016

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 11:08:07 AM »
micah, listen to what buzzard just posted.  yer asking a very very subjective question in which anyone's answer will be correct - for them, not you.  the difference in barrel lengths is really all about the sight plane and then the carry and the aim.  short barrels are easier to carry and swing.  long barrels have better sight planes.  both will get the job done based on yer shooting abilities.  consider the terrain yer hunting - would a shorter barrel be easier in dense woods than a longer barrel?

Offline Keb

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2016, 12:18:41 PM »
Well, I personally like the look of a long barrel. I'm not a hunter any more so scrambling thru brush is not a problem for me. I only shoot occasionally and am not competitive any more but if I was, I'd shoot what I have and that's a 48" by 28 gauge fowling gun.
However, from my experience, I will say all lengths will shoot accurately with the right load if there isn't some other problem with the gun.

Offline micah223

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2016, 01:22:30 PM »
I am leaning towards a 41". For my first one then leaning towards a 36 latter. Thanks

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2016, 03:37:25 PM »
as already mentioned a buncha times, they's all good, bud.  all depends on how and where yer gonna use it.  i think you'll like that longer choice.    

i'm with keb and prefer smoothies to be longer, at least 40" or so, i have a couple that are 42" and 44".  if the balance is right, she'll swing good for shot charges on skwerls and be easy handling for patched ball loads.

Offline micah223

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2016, 04:39:10 PM »
How much does yours weigh and does it balance well. My 30" is a joy to carry but does not seem to hang well.

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2016, 04:53:31 PM »
is it muzzle heavy?  is the balance point not at some agreeable point on the forestock?

with a custom long gun, the balance is a point to be discussed and agreed on with yer gunmaker.

Offline micah223

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2016, 08:49:30 PM »
Very good point. I will call Matt tomorrow and discuss it with him. I have spoken to him about the correctness of the arm and his favorite , but never thought to ask about how it was balanced and swung. It will be interesting to hear his thoughts . Thanks

Offline Mike Brooks

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.thegunmaker.com
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2016, 08:43:25 AM »
In my meager experience I have found that the longer  barrels shoot both RB's and shot better than shorter barrels, in all gauges, when they are properly loaded. With practice you can wing shoot with a 4' barrel, in fact if you don't mind missing a few you can shoot skeet with good success. But generally if you are only going to shoot shot I'd go with a 16 to 10 bore and keep the length to 36" to 42". If you are only going to shoot RB I'd go 28 bore, 48" to about 54", after 54" the gun can become inconvenient. Although with some experience you can learn to handle barrels out to 72" long. Also, don't associate weight with length. Properly built long barrels aren't heavy.
 Historically, and I know many of you don't care about that sort of thing, English trade guns in the 1700's had barrels that were most commonly 4' in the barrel. Next most common was 3 1/2'.  Through the first 1/2 of the 1800's the most common trade gun barrel length was 3 1/2' with 4' still popular as well as 3' becoming more popular.
 French trade guns in colonial america had barrels that were 4 pieds in length, which translates to 53 1/4" . This length was pretty universal with French trade guns.
 It wasn't unusual for barrel lengths to  vary an inch or so in both French and English trade guns, usually on the shorter side of the variance. Small differences is actual barrel length didn't seem to matter back then.
 English trade gun barrels were quite light in weight. The breech being about 1". A finished english trade gun with a 4' barrel weighs 6lbs give or take a few ounces. French trade guns commonly had barrels between 1 1/8" to 1 1/4. The original french trade guns with barrels 4 pieds in length I have examined usually weigh about 1 pound  more than their English counter parts with a 4' barrel.