Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: How Clean is Clean Enough?  (Read 1740 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: How Clean is Clean Enough?
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2018, 02:00:23 PM »
Well Eric,,, back before Prohibition on whale oil, it was the thing to use.
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline AxelP

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2018, 06:43:36 PM »
Whale oil was primarily used for lanterns, candles etc... but it was not as inexpensive or available as animal tallow farther inland. The most expensive whale oil was Sperm oil that was more waxy. I have seen where it could be two and three times more expensive. I wonder how much of it was used for lubing gun barrels by the average frontier farmer or settler, or army? I wonder if bear oil or deer tallow was always the poor man's alternative? I have read where wax candles were precious on the frontier and tallow lamps were the local alternative? Maybe same for gun oils.

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2018, 07:20:12 PM »
I picked up two 8 ounce bottles of it back in 1975 or so.  I think I paid about 5.95 for each.  It's been so long I really don't remember what it was.  Time passes and I came across them about 25 years after, still unused.  It seems a few months ago I was going through a big box where I keep various stuff dealing with guns and I found one of them.  Where did the other one go?  Not a clue.  But it is good to know that I have it.  Will have to give it a try one of these decades.  Until then, maybe it is like fine wine and will age to perfection?  Or not.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life