Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: RWS percussion caps  (Read 1811 times)

Offline One Shot

• TMA Forum Member
RWS percussion caps
« on: September 18, 2019, 03:56:30 AM »
Are there any vendors in WA PNW that carry or deal in RWS #11 percussion caps?
Semper Fi
The Few The Proud

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: RWS percussion caps
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 09:48:03 AM »
I don't know One Shot? I put a link to Jedediah Starr below...

https://www.jedediah-starr.com/closeup.asp?cid=86&pid=3002

I shoot both percussion and flintlocks, and in this particular situation when one can't find the caps, it does make those flintlocks stand out. They're both fun to shoot... Hope you find some.  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline prairie dog

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member #678
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 10:52:27 AM »
I order them from Powder Inc. when I order powder.
Steve Sells

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 12:00:44 PM »
October Country in Coeur d'Alene might still sell them.
The Gun Works in Springfield, OR probably does.
The White Elephant in Spokane, WA used to sell them.
The Black Sheep in CdA used to sell them.
Of course, lots can change in the 13 years since I left the area.
Probably if you look up Dynamint Nobel on the www, they might have a list of distributors.
Hope some of this info is of some help.
And of course, like Steve said, he gets his with his powder orders.  Just pay one hazmat fee that way.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline One Shot

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 06:28:09 PM »
Thank you...
Semper Fi
The Few The Proud

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 04:33:15 AM »
I bought three boxes of caps at Sportsmans Warehouse here in town recently.
I got 2 boxes CC! #10 for my Revolvers,
I got 1 box of Dynamite Nobel No.1074 (RWS) #11...(Since I have converted a couple of Rifles to Musket caps for my clumsy fingers, I don't use a lot of #11 anymore....but I do still have "old Tacks, and that's what she likes.)

Then, when I went to check out the bill was like $24.50 for 3 boxes of caps....I said what the heck is this?
I couldn't believe it!
I was informed the RWS Caps were $11 something a box, the CCI was $4 something each, and then sales tax, came to $24.50
Why is RWS suddenly almost triple of other caps?

Gawd! What has happened to the days when we got 10 boxes of Remington Caps for under $12 bucks? :Doh! 

The last time I actually recall buying any number of caps,  I bought them in Shelton, WA,  that was about 12 or 13, maybe 15 years ago at Verle's Sporting Goods on HWY 101.
I bought like 3,000 caps (30 boxes)  for under $50, I can't remember for sure, but I do believe those were also CCI.

I don't like the CCI Magnum Cap, never have.
But they were no more expensive than the regular CCI at Sportsman's Warehouse. I have heard they changed their formula for the Magnum Cap, and I hope that's true. We need a better selection of #11 caps.

I got into a bunch of those CCI Mag Caps years ago, and I betcha half of 'em didn't go off...I was going to trash em, but a friend with me that day said he would buy me a cold beer for all I had left, so he went home with all of them, while I was left setting in the VFW drinking my Cold Beer.,,,,great deal IMHO.

It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 07:26:19 AM »
I bought bulk RWS #11Caps probably 15 years ago as the price was right and at that time less then the CCI - which I always liked and used prior to the RWS Purchase.

I think what we're seeing here with the higher prices (as no one seems to have an average price - is that re'sellers are no doubt buying caps bulk (Perhaps 10, 20, 30, or more 1000 count boxes [10 - 100 count to a tin] and they are no doubt dividing the cost of the "Hazmat" and shipping fee on each tin from a 10 tin count box - there by putting the screws to everyone rather then dividing that Hazmat Fee up between (say) 100 tins when they purchased 100 to 1000 total tins...

In retail you always pay cost + freight + Hazmat fee,,, no matter if you have shipped 1 box count of 10 tins - or 10 boxes of 10 tins each... The shipping and Hazmat Fee is the same (and it's only paid once on the total order) - this is just an avenue for retailers to put the screws to you by dividing that hazmat fee up on each tin from each box of 10 tins (every time) on every 10 count box... (And they only paid it once on their order shipped to them).

If the TMA ever wanted to expand into the business of selling, [Powder / Caps / Flints / Balls] and retailed out this stuff at 10% over cost + freight to our members - we'd have 10,000 members or more...

Not saying we're gonna do that - running a business is a huge undertaking - and very time consuming. Most of us here are retired - we didn't retire to work all day in our retirement (there's plenty on our honey-do list)...  :laffing

Offline Idaholewis

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2019, 08:30:41 AM »
Double Eagle Pawn Shop in Deer Park Wa has them. As another poster above mentioned, Blacksheep in CDA Has them. Little Sport Shop in Oldtown Idaho has them.

I only use the RWS 1075 PLUS Caps for Hunting, As much as i shoot i would go broke buying Caps as much as the RWS Cost (12 bucks per 100 Around here) I use CCi No. 11s, both straight and the Magnum Version. I have Yet to have a Failure and i shoot a LOT, I use Swiss Real Blackpowder
“Absolutely nothing is good enough if it can be made better. And better is never good enough if it can be made best." Author Unknown

Offline Uncle Russ

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2019, 10:30:27 AM »
Double Eagle Pawn Shop in Deer Park Wa has them. As another poster above mentioned, Blacksheep in CDA Has them. Little Sport Shop in Oldtown Idaho has them.

I only use the RWS 1075 PLUS Caps for Hunting, As much as i shoot i would go broke buying Caps as much as the RWS Cost (12 bucks per 100 Around here) I use CCi No. 11s, both straight and the Magnum Version. I have Yet to have a Failure and i shoot a LOT, I use Swiss Real Blackpowder

Yep, seems RWS is, and has been for sometime, steadily pricing themselves right out of the market.
Your remarks on the CCI Mag Cap is encouraging. I had somehow heard or read CCI was changing their formula in their Mag Cap, this supposedly happened several years back, and since that time the horror stories seem to slowed dramatically......I can not say with any certainty they are actually "hotter", as the name may suggest, but I would like to think that dependability on sure-fire, shot after shot, is a plus in any caplock......just like a good English Flint in a flinter...
 :hairy

Offline Idaholewis

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2019, 07:22:32 PM »

Yep, seems RWS is, and has been for sometime, steadily pricing themselves right out of the market.
Your remarks on the CCI Mag Cap is encouraging. I had somehow heard or read CCI was changing their formula in their Mag Cap, this supposedly happened several years back, and since that time the horror stories seem to slowed dramatically......I can not say with any certainty they are actually "hotter", as the name may suggest, but I would like to think that dependability on sure-fire, shot after shot, is a plus in any caplock......just like a good English Flint in a flinter...
 :hairy

I have sure had good luck with the CCi 11s, I shoot more of the Magnums than any, But Truth is the Regular No. 11s Work just as well, and they are about 2.50-3.00 A tin of 100, I feel the Magnums are Right on Par with the RWS 10-3/4 PLUS Caps, I sure can’t tell a Difference?

I keep a pretty good pile on hand, But I Shoot a LOT. They were closing these out at a Local Store recently and i Grabbed a Few  :). Now they have them Back in Stock to Stay? I’m not complaining, i got a DARN Good Deal on these at 2 bucks a Tin  :bl th up
“Absolutely nothing is good enough if it can be made better. And better is never good enough if it can be made best." Author Unknown

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2019, 08:08:32 PM »
I remember a time when CCI's were hard to get and RWS wasn't (at that time they were priced about the same)... Anyway, I picked up some RWS caps (everyone said you won't like them) and they have served me very well over the years... I would also not hesitate to buy CCI Caps. I've never had a problem with them, either... It's the Remington caps that always gave me fits - leaving a little paper wad in the nipple - hate those caps.

Offline Uncle Russ

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2019, 10:03:00 PM »
I never had the problem you experienced Joe, but I have  certainly heard the exact same thing from several folks.
My problem with Remington, or any cap for that matter, is once I start getting misfires, even if it's a box I just opened, I start loosing confidence, and that soon starts showing....downrange.
Thats when even a new box would get tossed.
If it happened several times, I would try another brand.

I strongly suspect that is one of the two reasons I started using Musket Caps on my hunting rifles. The other reason was the larger cap gave my big clumsy fingers a better, more positive seating than any of my Cappers ever had before.
Even with two Ted Cash Cappers...the regular, and the goose neck, I experienced problems in the field.....the goose neck has never given me a single problem with my Revolvers, but I have experience problems with not seating properly with #11's because after the misfire, I was able to fully seat the cap with my thumb.

At one time, I used to fully seat the cap using the hammer of the Revolver. However, following one Accidental Discharge, I quickly outgrew that. Since then I use a wooden dowell, although it may take 5 seconds longer, the longevity of my underwear is much better!

Having said all that, I think it's only right to say that while I blamed the cap, or brand of caps, for many years, it may well have been improper seating of the cap that had me frustrated about half the time....

At this stage of the game, I suspect I will never know the truth of that, but it is a suspicion I have had, even idly wondered about, so I thought I would tell you guys about it.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2019, 12:32:48 AM »
Russ, here's a good little story about a CCI #11 Cap, (and I think I've told this before - many years ago...)

Had some snow on the ground one December Muzzle loading deer hunting season, and outside my workshop I had a pile beside the door... Well the evening before opening day I took my rifle out into my workshop to fire off a cap - dry swab - and load my rifle for the coming morning hunt... Well I dropped that first cap into that pile of snow, said sh-t, and got another one and capped off.

Long story short, I actually (by accident) happened to find that CCI cap in the Spring when the snow melted away. Just happened to look down and there it was in the grass beside the door. It was sunny & warm outside and just out of curiosity I wanted to see if that cap would still fire.

I got a muzzle loading rifle - put that cap on it - aimed it to the grass - and it went off and moved the grass at the end of the muzzle... It was still good even after it had dried out after setting in that snow for 3 months... I could hardly believe it, but it did happen that way and since it had enough umph to go off with a solid crack and move the grass at the end of the muzzle - well, I think it would have ignited a powder charge as well. So apparently, caps can come back just like black powder if it gets wet and dries out...

That sold me on CCI caps for sure, and even though I use the RWS caps now, that's not because I had anything against the #11 CCI cap, they just didn't have them in stock when I needed them.

:shake

Offline Idaholewis

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2019, 12:39:35 AM »
I never had the problem you experienced Joe, but I have  certainly heard the exact same thing from several folks.

At one time, I used to fully seat the cap using the hammer of the Revolver. However, following one Accidental Discharge, I quickly outgrew that. Since then I use a wooden dowell, although it may take 5 seconds longer, the longevity of my underwear is much better!

Having said all that, I think it's only right to say that while I blamed the cap, or brand of caps, for many years, it may well have been improper seating of the cap that had me frustrated about half the time....

At this stage of the game, I suspect I will never know the truth of that, but it is a suspicion I have had, even idly wondered about, so I thought I would tell you guys about it.

I have seen what Joe speaks of, I have had it happen With these CCi Caps, in fact it happens a LOT. The majority of my Shooting is done from a Bench, I Swab Between Shots for consistency, especially if working up a Load, I take out as many variables as i possibly can. I use to turn my Rifle up and Pick at that Little Paper Wad stuck in the Nipple when i seen it, It never takes much to get rid of it, I have intentionally left it to see if Swabbing (Air escaping) Would Get rid of it? It Does, The First Patch Going Down will get rid of it, at least it always has. But i have never Dumped powder, and went straight in to a Reload with 1 Stuck in the Nipple? I am confident it would be pushed out when Seating the Patched Ball.

Uncle Russ,  I have also experienced the Cap not being fully seated on the Nipple, it can give enough cushion to Not set the Cap off. I use the Hammer of my Rifle, I lower it down Gently on the Cap and let it Rest on it, then Push the Hammer Forward good n Solid, you can see it Seat the Cap. A Nipple will get worse n worse the More you Shoot, the dirtier it gets the Cap needs More Push to Seat it on the Nipple Good. Swap Nipple Brands and it might be a Little better, or Worse? Cap to Nipple fit is important! I look at these Things as “Nature of the Beast” With Cap Guns, Once you understand them you can Run them Trouble Free. I definitely had my Share of problems until I learned the Causes, And Fixes for them. It is a RARE occasion these days that i have an issue. But Cap Guns are all i own, and Shoot, I better have them Figured out by Now  :)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2019, 01:09:28 AM »
Amen to that in figuring out our cap guns and their likes and dis'likes.  :bl th up

I probably have the dirtiest right thumb and index finger this side of the Missouri River - as after each shot I have taken with the 'ol caplock, I come back to full cock, clear the spent cap left behind in the hammer cup, get some spit on the thumb and index finger and wipe the Nipple cone off, go to half cock, blow down the barrel, then reload, and cap...

Spit just ain't for patches... :laffing  :shake