Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Pedersoli Alamo 50 cal flintlock  (Read 2128 times)

Offline Mike in Oz

• TMA Forum Member
  • New BP shooter, only been doing this since 2015.
Pedersoli Alamo 50 cal flintlock
« on: August 29, 2017, 10:37:28 AM »
G'day gents,

I looking at busting my flintlock cherry with a Pedersoli Alamo rifle in 50 cal flintlock but i'm just looking for a review from someone who owns or has shot one.

Its nigh on impossible to see or handle a flintlock here in Western Australia before you buy so i'm stuck with having to ask opinions on line.

I know that generally Pedersoli rifles have a good general rep and their QC has improved of late, i'm also aware that their springs can be too strong causing the rifle to eat flints.

I intend to use this rifle to punch paper and put meat in the freezer (when the rangers bugger off!).

Can anyone add to this general knowledge please?

Thanks a lot gents and i'll see you down the track!   :)

(Please don't suggest buying a rifle in the states and importing it into Australia, between the shipping costs and the microscope the federal police would insert into my affairs, makes it all a non starter!)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: Pedersoli Alamo 50 cal flintlock
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 02:02:51 PM »
Hello cylon,

I don't own a Pedersoli Alamo rifle, but I've heard more good reviews then poor reviews on their products.

I bet if you go on youtube and did a search for the Pedersoli Alamo Rifle, you'd probably find some video's to watch, and see them in action.

Nice to hear from our friends down in Australia!  :shake 
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 08:04:51 PM by Ohio Joe »
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 03:07:35 PM »
Pedersoli does make a quality gun and I've owned two, though not an Alamo.  I had one of their wonderful 12ga coach guns, dbl barrel.  It is a beaut and a wonderful percussion.  I also had a .50 "Cub" (short version of their penn rifle) in flintlock.  But while lock trouble is rare on these rifles, mine was a disappointment.  It was not a reliable lock by any stretch of the imagination.  I bought a drop-in percussion lock and took several deer with it.  I still managed to kill a few deer with the flint lock installed.  I have not heard of any other complaints  on this rifle in flint.  Got to admit, however, it would really shoot!  I even killed a deer with the flint lock at 100 yards!
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 08:29:59 PM »
I don't know anything about the Alamo by Pedersoli.
On the other hand, I have owned a Pedersoli Penn Longrifle for going on 15 / 20 years, and I can assure you there ain't no fleas on that dog.

Since day one it has shot better then I can hold!
With my Pedersoli I have killed a lot of paper, a bunch of Rocks, at different distances, and one very ripe Pumpkin that looked like it might charge me......

As a rule, Pedersoli turns out some very well respected rifles.

Uncle Russ...

It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Mike in Oz

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 10:16:27 PM »
Good to hear gents and thank you.

Unfortunately my google-fu is weak and i can't locate a specific review anywhere, if anyone can link me to one, i'd be very appreciative!

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 11:08:19 PM »
Mike, take a look at this video. This is more of a shooting review of the accuracy you can expect from a Pedersoli .50 cal flintlock. My guess is that the Alamo doesn't differ much from the rifle in the video. Skip a'head to 3:10 / 3:11 in the video and he shows a close up of his target.

In any event, this gets you a kick start in perhaps finding that Alamo review (if one exist on Youtube), but I personally think you'd be mighty pleased with one.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 11:12:20 PM by Ohio Joe »
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Uncle Russ

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 01:59:46 AM »
I found this:
However, it is a UK Web Site, and I don't think that's what you're looking for.
http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=694_887_894_898&products_id=6799

And this: Which is not better, but at least a good picture of the rifle;
Lots of engraving on the Patch box, but I can't read it.
https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/scheda-prodotto.asp/l_en/idpr_93/rifles-alamo-alamo-flintlock-model.html

The rifle looks a lot like the Penn Longrifle with Alamo engraving on the patch box, IMO

Sorry I wasn't more help.

Uncle Russ...

Offline Mike in Oz

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 02:55:07 AM »
Cheers mate,

That's an impressive hat he's wearing in that video!  :lol sign

But the accuracy with a worked up load is clearly nothing to be sniffed at. It looks about the same as i get from my TC caplock Senica.

Mike, take a look at this video. This is more of a shooting review of the accuracy you can expect from a Pedersoli .50 cal flintlock. My guess is that the Alamo doesn't differ much from the rifle in the video. Skip a'head to 3:10 / 3:11 in the video and he shows a close up of his target.

In any event, this gets you a kick start in perhaps finding that Alamo review (if one exist on Youtube), but I personally think you'd be mighty pleased with one.

Offline Mike in Oz

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 02:59:26 AM »
Ye Gods that's expensive!!!  :o

Well on the grounds i just bought the gun i'll post the link to it here. ;D

http://www.ozgunsales.com/listing/47903/pedersoli_alamo_50_flintlock.html

Now for the insanity that comes from shipping a firearm interstate and licensing the damn thing. I'll be lucky to see it before November. *angry*

I'll have to do up some pics when i get my hands on it! :)

I found this:
However, it is a UK Web Site, and I don't think that's what you're looking for.
http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=694_887_894_898&products_id=6799

And this: Which is not better, but at least a good picture of the rifle;
Lots of engraving on the Patch box, but I can't read it.
https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/scheda-prodotto.asp/l_en/idpr_93/rifles-alamo-alamo-flintlock-model.html

The rifle looks a lot like the Penn Longrifle with Alamo engraving on the patch box, IMO

Sorry I wasn't more help.

Uncle Russ...

Offline Uncle Russ

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 04:17:34 AM »
Yea! Good on you Mike!   :toast

When that itch grows bad enough, by all means scratch that darn thing.

I have a good friend in Warburton Aus.
John William McCall is his name, if you two should ever cross paths give him a shout-out for me.

You take care, glad you made the decision to buy, and have it on the way now.
It looks like we'll just wait until ya wade, and struggle, through all the formalities before we get  pictures, but when do get all that done, please give us a quick visit with all the info on what's happening with it.

Uncle Russ...

Offline Mike in Oz

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 06:38:00 AM »
Mate that's like 1600 kms or a 33 hour drive from me!  :lol sign

But if our paths cross i'll be sure to buy him a beer! :)

Rest assured after the inevitable sodding around is all done i'll post a review and a heap of pictures for you all!

Yea! Good on you Mike!   :toast

When that itch grows bad enough, by all means scratch that darn thing.

I have a good friend in Warburton Aus.
John William McCall is his name, if you two should ever cross paths give him a shout-out for me.

You take care, glad you made the decision to buy, and have it on the way now.
It looks like we'll just wait until ya wade, and struggle, through all the formalities before we get  pictures, but when do get all that done, please give us a quick visit with all the info on what's happening with it.

Uncle Russ...

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 09:05:31 AM »
AVOID the Alamo and the Kentucky from Pedersoli.  The barrels are simply too dang short for a "long rifle".  IF you're going to drop that much coin on a factory long rifle and can't hold it before you buy, get a barrel at least 39" long.  So from Pedersoli that leaves you with the Pennsylvania with a 41" barrel and the Frontier with a 39" barrel.  I prefer the Frontier, and in .54 since the lock is robust and more durable than the smaller lock on the Pennsylvania model.  I also prefer the .54 with the slow twist of 1:66 of the Frontier to the much smaller .45 caliber Pennsylvania.  IF recoil is a problem for you the Frontier is available in smaller calibers.  PLUS the Frontier is $100 less than the Pennsylvania.  Having shot both, as well as having shot the Pedersoli Jaeger, and having owned a Frontier, a SxS 20 gauge caplock, a Bess, and a trade gun, I recommend the Frontier.

LD
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 09:08:27 AM by Loyalist Dave »
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline Mike in Oz

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 09:42:07 AM »
Unfortunately mate i have storage requirements to think about too and as much as i would like a "true" long rifle, i cant afford to buy a custom safe to keep it in....

Now if I could keep it on a mount in the living room on display without getting arrested, then i'd get a full long rifle in a heart beat.

AVOID the Alamo and the Kentucky from Pedersoli.  The barrels are simply too dang short for a "long rifle".  IF you're going to drop that much coin on a factory long rifle and can't hold it before you buy, get a barrel at least 39" long.  So from Pedersoli that leaves you with the Pennsylvania with a 41" barrel and the Frontier with a 39" barrel.  I prefer the Frontier, and in .54 since the lock is robust and more durable than the smaller lock on the Pennsylvania model.  I also prefer the .54 with the slow twist of 1:66 of the Frontier to the much smaller .45 caliber Pennsylvania.  IF recoil is a problem for you the Frontier is available in smaller calibers.  PLUS the Frontier is $100 less than the Pennsylvania.  Having shot both, as well as having shot the Pedersoli Jaeger, and having owned a Frontier, a SxS 20 gauge caplock, a Bess, and a trade gun, I recommend the Frontier.

LD

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2017, 02:33:23 PM »
I would have no reservations about buying a Pedersoli flintlock.  I'll have to second a preference for the "Frontier".  They just look "right".  But you gotta get what you can keep.  You won't be unhappy with any Pedersoli.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Mike in Oz

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2017, 08:34:37 AM »
I would have no reservations about buying a Pedersoli flintlock.  I'll have to second a preference for the "Frontier".  They just look "right".  But you gotta get what you can keep.  You won't be unhappy with any Pedersoli.

Good to know, cheers mate!  :hairy