Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Wedge tents ? ? ?  (Read 1755 times)

Offline Rick Villerot

• TMA Forum Member
Wedge tents ? ? ?
« on: June 04, 2010, 01:09:15 AM »
What is your guy's pro's & con's on these tents ?

What do you think of the Bell Back ?

Spotted Bull

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 03:06:55 AM »
I have a super wedge from Panther Primitive that has the big bell back on it...it works pretty good actually for the wife and I and holds the queen size bed in the center, but there isn't much side-wall room due to the sloping sides...It works better for me and a buddy sleeping on opposite sides on the floor cloth.  The bell does provide extra storage space, or it provides a nice grassy area that keeps from making that long trip to stand in the woods early in the morning...

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 07:05:17 AM »
I have two, one from Panther, and one from Tentsmiths.  I went with the Tentsmith's version for my second tent as at that time Panther had some quality issues.  BUT their warranty has been always honored, so I know folks that got some tents with seam sewing problems and had them corrected without problems.  

IF you are going to do a bell on any size tent, get the bigger bell, or the biggest bell.  It is a great place to store stuff.  

IF you do more camping in colder weather or with colder mornings, get the mug flaps, as it cuts down on drafts.  If you do summer camping and it gets sweltering hot, omit the mud flaps.  You want that air circulation.

IF you do living history events as part of a military unit, and your tent will be in a "company street", then consider getting the bell with a rear opening that you can modify and secure with large hooks and eyes.  After hours it makes a huge difference being able to open the front and back for a few minutes and letting the hot air out.  If you go to events where the public is often behind the tent..., omit the opening and keep it traditional design, for it lowers the thievery by tourists.  

For winter camping the bell is the best place to put the heat resistant opening for your tent stove, stove pipe.  The slope of the sides of a tent cause such openings to leak when the stove pipe is present and it rains.  Leaking in the bell area is much preferred to leaking anywhere on the main walls near where somebody sleeps.

I hope this helps.

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline markinmi

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 04:07:53 PM »
very easy to put up.

Offline tg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 08:01:39 PM »
I am quite happy with my small one it  will sleep 2 if a ton of gear is not packed along and is spacious for one,the bell is a real plus on these. I think it is called the 1750 infantry Bell Back, I cannot recall the maker but it might be Panther. A 9'x11' tarp can make a pretty good shelter also and is a lot cheaper at the paint store.I like to go where I can cut poles and stakes on site.usually willows that are overgrowing an old road. I take a ground cloth for the inside and a 4'x5' one for the entrance,the bigger ones are great for larger parties with more backs for packing gear.

Offline Cpl.Parker

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 06:18:10 AM »
I have a 10x10x8 and It is great for one person but will handle 2 no problem.   I got mine fron Fall Creek for uncer $500.
"May they and all the others that died for freedom and justice not be forgotten.
They gave us freedom and it is our duty to keep it."

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 11:07:06 AM »
I've had one for years now and am quite happy with it.  it is a smaller one and is great for one person.  For the two of us, it is a bit "not quite enough".  Mine does not have the bell.  But for the price I paid, who cares?  I got mine second hand at a very reasonable cost.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Firewalker

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 11:17:43 AM »
I had an RK for awhile and traded it to somebody here. It was very nice. But I have a pyramid now which works better for me as its easier to put up and less poles.
Firewalker aka Bob
TMA Charter Member #137

"Life doesn't come with a guarantee; eat your desert first." D. Kelman

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 10:37:47 PM »
I've got this one:

http://www.tentsmiths.com/period-tents- ... tents.html

Bought it very gently used. Easy to put up--after having an oval marquee for a lot of years. Very roomy for one. I'll be adding an awning before I use it again. The bell back is the only way to go, especially on those occasions where you have company sleeping over.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 12:46:35 AM by Kermit »
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393

Offline attheedgeoftheworld

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 11:17:27 PM »
Quote from: "Kermit"
I've got this one:

http://www.tentsmiths.com/period-tents- ... tents.html

Bought it very gently used. Easy to put up--after having an oval marquee for a lot of years. Very room for one. I'll be adding an awning before I use it again. The bell back is the only way to go, especially on those occasions where you have company sleeping over.

yep- got the same tent and like. I would buy the same thing again