Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: "Flintlock Fowlers - The First Guns Made in American"  (Read 786 times)

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
"Flintlock Fowlers - The First Guns Made in American"
« on: January 18, 2016, 06:13:14 AM »

I bought this 248 page, glossy heavy paper softcover book, written by Tom Grinslade, on a recommendation from Keb and others, and it has not disappointed.  The introduction and first three chapters delve into fowler/smoothbore origins, designs, ignition systems and usage within the period of times that range from the discovery of the Americas, to the American Colonial settlement period, and then through the conflict periods and on to the early 19th century.  The  subsequent chapters delve into great firearm details.  

There is no doubt that the unsung firearm hero of the 18th century is the smoothbore.  Call it by any other name: fowler or musket, this was the firearm that made America during its settlement and conflict periods, and not the rifle, who's heyday would emerge at the later part of the century.

All in all, a fine book that's just chock full of firearm details and history and a great addition to any traditional muzzleloading library.  :bl th up

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: "Flintlock Fowlers - The First Guns Made in American"
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 11:17:47 AM »
Looks like a very interesting book.  :hairy
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Voyageur

• TMA Forum Member
Re: "Flintlock Fowlers - The First Guns Made in American"
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 02:19:15 PM »
Just found the book om Amazon $43.94 less taxes. Ordered today and it already shipped. I cannot wait as I have always wanted a fowler in my shooting collection of f/l's. Looks like a beautiful book. Thanks ........."Doc" :hairy
Artillerymen Do It With A Bang
Artillery the King of Battle
St. Barbara-Pray for us !

NRA Endowment Life

Charter Member #104-10/22/15
"JOIN THE TMA TODAY"