Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: "News of the World," by Paulette Jiles  (Read 331 times)

Offline Maven

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #778
  • TMA Member: Expiration date; 10/21/2021
"News of the World," by Paulette Jiles
« on: January 09, 2017, 06:53:05 PM »
I just finished reading "News of the World" and thought it was a good story well told.  The main character, a veteran of the War of 1812 -> the Civil War, was truly an honorable man, something we don't see much of these days.  Here's a summary of the story, which I shamelessly borrowed from another site:

"1870, North Texas, rainy and cold. Captain Jefferson Kyle Kidd travels from town to town giving readings from the latest newspapers, bringing the news of the world to isolated towns on the Texas frontier. In Wichita Falls, he is asked to return a captive girl to her relatives near San Antonio, 400 miles to the south. The old man and the ten-year-old start out on a hazardous journey, no less risky because the girl considers herself now a Kiowa and does not have the slightest desire to return. Bandits and Comanche raids and violent weather make as many difficulties as the ten-year old girl who can’t speak English, eats with her hands and knows how to use a revolver. In the end, he finds he must return her to relatives who don’t want her, even though he and the girl have become trusting friends.  A story of courage and honor and the truth that these two things are often the possession of even the unlikeliest people."

My only complaint, and it's a minor one, is that the author doesn't know much about firearms of that period, which you'll discover as you read it.  Other than that, it is a heartwarming tale.

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
Re: "News of the World," by Paulette Jiles
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 10:04:40 PM »
I will have to see if my local library has that in stock.  Sounds like a good read.  Thanks.

Wow, I just checked the library and they indeed have it.  Sorry to say, there are 58 requests ahead of me.  Oh well, it will be there when it is time.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: "News of the World," by Paulette Jiles
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 12:44:30 PM »
That does sound like a fine book to pick up and read.
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska