Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: A Big Step  (Read 902 times)

Spotted Bull

A Big Step
« on: July 05, 2019, 10:48:26 PM »
Well guys I've decided to do something I've wanted to do for a very long time. I'm going back to school to get my bachelor's degree. I've decided that online is best for me. So I'm looking at Sam Houston State University and their Bachelor's of Arts in History. I have a business associates already so I'm half way there.

Plus, a veteran that enlisted as a Texas resident, the State has what's called the Hazlewood Exemption Act, giving veterans 150 free credit hours at a state funded school. Since degree will basically be free, I figured why not? And I love history.

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: A Big Step
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 12:08:31 AM »
Sounds like a "good move".  :hairy :bl th up
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 12:16:18 AM »
I think that's great Spotted Bull  :hairy
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Rocklock

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 02:13:29 PM »
👍😁🤠
Ain't nothin' hard if ya have the right equipment AND know how to use it.  :lt th

Offline Hawken

• TMA Forum Member
  • "A man's WORD....is his total value!"
  • TMA Member: TMA Member #802 Expiration 05-04-2021
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 03:19:58 PM »
I have a degree!

It reads:

DD-214

:yessir:
"There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2019, 05:03:01 PM »
I got one of those also.

My other one is from the University of Hard Knocks.  But they didn't give me a certificate.

Good on ya' Bull.  Once you got it, nobody can take it away from you.
Go for it.

John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline recurvebill

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2019, 05:27:16 PM »
 Good move on your part , partner !!!  Education ain't just a part time thing , it is an everyday thing , be it an accredited university , or the "school of hard knocks", as i found when i turned 18 for my first of many stints in the military to retirement !!

Spotted Bull

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2019, 06:33:19 PM »
I have a degree!

It reads:

DD-214

I have that one too sir. It's that DD-214 that is enabling me to reach this goal.

My wife asked me what I'm going to do with a history degree. I told her probably nothing, but it's not going to cost me anything so I may as well go for something I enjoy. And some day maybe I'll work in a museum.

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2019, 07:19:43 PM »
 :hairy Congratulations on YA!!! I think it's great to go after that degree. It's really not about the degree, however. It's about doing something you want, and making the effort. I luv it, and my hat's off to ya! :toast

By the way that DD-214 is a great degree. Got mine from the University of Science, Music & Culture (VietNam Campus)...OOORAH!
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan

Offline Hawken

• TMA Forum Member
  • "A man's WORD....is his total value!"
  • TMA Member: TMA Member #802 Expiration 05-04-2021
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2019, 05:34:31 AM »
I have a degree!

It reads:

DD-214

I have that one too sir. It's that DD-214 that is enabling me to reach this goal.

My wife asked me what I'm going to do with a history degree. I told her probably nothing, but it's not going to cost me anything so I may as well go for something I enjoy. And some day maybe I'll work in a museum.

Good for you! I used the GI Bill to get into aviation and the 2000$ it cost our Uncle was a good investment for the 40 years I paid in TAXES!!

GO FOR IT!! :yessir: :hairy
"There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2019, 11:59:51 AM »
I have found the G I Bill kind of humorous.  Before I went into the Army, I was taking a class in Diesel Mechanics.  I got my draft notice and not wanting to be a random factor and take what they were giving, I decided to enlist.  So, my friend and I decided to do a buddy thing.  Off we go to the recruiting office and sign up for that.  I said I wanted to go into Diesel mechanics, so the recruiter looks up in his book and says, here you go, 62E20, Diesel Equipment and Operation.  He further said when you get to your school, you will have the option of going into operating or maintaining.  Lies, all lies.
So, we get to the reception center and we're sitting there, not having a clue what is going on, when all of a sudden this HUGE Negro Staff Sargent comes stomping out and says in a loud voice, "OK, who's the !$@#$$%$^Y alien?"  Who knew he was a Canadian?  So, off he goes, and that is the last I ever saw of him.  Maybe he wound up as a stew for the non coms.  Time passes, I finish basic and off to my school.  I there found out that operation and maintenance were basically the same thing.  We learned how to operate bulldozers, scrapers, graders and all that fun stuff.  The maintenance part was lubricating, changing oil, maintaining fluid levels, etc.  My choice, my a$$.
Phase II.  So, I do my time and I see the world.  Finally I get out and go back to college, again at the Diesel course at the local city college.  I am there less than two weeks and lo and behold, the teacher up and died.  No more class.  They offered a class in auto mechanics which I transferred over to, but I had already had a few of those, so it was no big deal.  Fast forward a couple of years or so, and I had worked in service stations and garages but not a lot of progress.  So, I decided to go back to school in accounting.  Surprise, I really aced that.  Seriously, would have had a 4.0 if it weren't for typing.  All the time, I was getting a check from Uncle Sam the first of the month.  So, I can say that the benefits finally paid off.  How good is that?
Over a course of time, I went from accounting into computer programming and operating and finally, I got into powder horn making and here I am today, still making horns in my semi retirement.  And Uncle is still sending me a check every month.  It just goes on and on.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2019, 12:06:14 PM »
You're  never too old to learn, Bull. I got my Bachelor's at 51 years old and never regretted it.

:bl th up :bl th up :bl th up
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2019, 07:20:00 PM »
I tried college on my GI Bill back in '79 (I ETS's in '77) and to be honest - I hated every minute of it. I think College is great, but it just wasn't for me... Back in those days I was bricking houses and laying block foundations, and I enjoyed that a lot... (and the pay was pretty darn good)
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline AxelP

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2019, 10:20:12 AM »
I went into college right out of high school because, because. I had two ideas about a career: Advertising Art or Firefighting. I decided to try for what I thought might be the hardest to achieve first but the one I had the most talent in. I ended up getting a degree in art and design and have worked as an artist for over 30 years now. Thats all good, but... If I had gone into firefighting, I would have been able to retire with a decent pension 6 years ago... Instead, I will most probably have to work until they find my dried up body hunched over my desk with a mouse in my hand. Ah well. I was able to support a wife and two kids, sending both kids to college where they graduated debt free. Things could be a whole lot worse.

Thank you all, who served or are serving our country. I am grateful and I am PROUD to have my taxes go to help you in any, and every way--- you EARNED it and much much more. Thank you for keeping us free.

K

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2019, 04:04:00 PM »
Now that you've announced your intentions,  Bull, we'll expect you to post your grades, too.

:laffing :laffing :laffing
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend