Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Why NOT to buy/build a new rifle!  (Read 1950 times)

Online Butler Ford 40

• TMA Contributing Member
Why NOT to buy/build a new rifle!
« on: December 16, 2020, 03:56:42 PM »
I recently purchased a new rifle. Sounds pretty simple... or until I started to outfit it.
Gotta make a new pouch, new horn ( ya may have to dehorn a cow or buff to get the needed supplies), new horn strap, new ball bag (need to kill a deer or elk to have a hide to tan). Have to make a new set of flinter tools, touch hole pick, turn screw, knapping tools and a pair of pliers and ya just gotta have a patch knife (make sure that the deer or elk you killed was antlered so you can have a handle for the knife and tip for the pick). Of course, it needs a sheath ( or you can use the tanned hide later), while you are soaking the hide, you can start on the sinew for sewing everything).
The bag has to have a few basics:  Patching material, patch lube and container, a simple fire making kit (you know, a good container for making char, steel, find a good flint, make the char, maybe even throw in a bit of tow to help out on cold wet days.
Need a wallet for some extra flints (see deer/elk).
The bag needs a small repair kit (you can make a decent needle out of the shin bone and save some of the extra sinew).
Need to sew up a new frock (the one from the Seven Years War looks out of place in the Rockies).
Need new britches, the linen ones from the southeast gonna be a mite' thin in the higher elevations! ( hope you got at least two deer or a big elk!)
OH! While you have the forge going, might aughta make a few fishhooks, those rivers out west have some mighty nice trout!

Mmmm, it ain't been delivered yet but anyone wanna buy my new rifle?
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey for tomorrow I may have to eat them.  Amen

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: Why NOT to buy/build a new rifle!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 05:25:41 PM »
Yes sir, lot more to it than just the rifle, that's for sure.  Don't forget to set one of them there antler tips a'side for a powder charger... :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Butler Ford 40

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 05:50:31 PM »
Yes sir, lot more to it than just the rifle, that's for sure.  Don't forget to set one of them there antler tips a'side for a powder charger... :shake

Oh my, I did forget that one!! Thanks for the reminder!  Wonder what else I have forgotten!? Yep! hope that bambi has a few points on it, need another tip to cobble together an awl for all the hide stitching!

Oh My! I left out a maintence/cleaning kit!, gotta' make a tow worm and come up with an oil bottle! 

The shooting pouch is starting to get a little crowded, guess I need to sew up a haversack of some kind.
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey for tomorrow I may have to eat them.  Amen

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 06:48:23 PM »
I'm glad you made this post, Bill...

I need to make a few bags myself which I should be using this Winter to get it done.

I freely admit that I slacked off and opted to have a couple rifles share the same bag, (which I really thought was a good idea at the time having them set up for both flint and cap), but that just adds more "clutter" in the bag when you go fishing for something for a certain lock or purpose... I've seen the error of my ways and have realized that, "yes" - each rifle needs its own bag...  :shake

:Doh! Almost forgot already, that's going to mean a couple new horns as well!!! :Doh!

Online Butler Ford 40

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 07:46:12 PM »
I guess the fun part of this sport (besides meeting some really awesome people) is that it is never ending if you want it to be or just stop with powder, measure, patch, lube and ball.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2020, 07:51:04 PM »
I guess the fun part of this sport (besides meeting some really awesome people) is that it is never ending if you want it to be or just stop with powder, measure, patch, lube and ball.

Amen to that!  :shake

I do think we tend to "over indulge" with our shootin' bag in todays times,,, but,,, sure as shootin' as soon as I get to the Range there's gonna be that "one" thing I need that I didn't bring...  :laffing

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2020, 08:32:22 PM »

Yep, Bill, You can make yourself a big part of that last one.
Both your wisdom and insight have been sorely missed, glad ya found yer way back home.
Still yet, we must never forget, that.... "All who wander are not necessarily lost".
I see in your travels ya picked up a whole bunch of wisdom in regards to that new riflegun, and the accruements required to make one tick, if fact, you've done plumb talked me outta the idea of getting a new/different one. I'm perfectly happy with what I've got, but there's always just the thought of a new one.....nice, but no dice.
I'm going to "run what I brung" and feel fortunate I've got it.

:yessir:

Russ...

It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2020, 09:33:44 PM »
Dang Bill, you made me tired just reading about it!!!!!!!!!!!! :luff: reminds me I have to make 2 more horns for my setups! and I do have 1 more gun  to build, a Track early English trade gun kit that I picked up at a voo a couple of 7 years ago for a song that's been labeled with a round to it on the box! and then of course the kit to go with it, now I need a nap thinking about  that! :toast
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Online Butler Ford 40

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2020, 10:15:46 PM »
Never enough time to do all the things ya wanna do!  I've got a Fowler 62 cal that needs finishing!
LOL, so far, the only thing I've accomplished for the undelivered is to mak a knapping tool out an old cut nail salvaged out of an old barn dismantle, and tape some printer paper together to draw out a pouch on.

IIt's just too much fun not to get back into the sport.  Sometimes life just gets in the way.

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2020, 07:06:27 AM »
Don't forget a loaded ball board, for fast reloads whilst in hostile country, or a faster follow up shot on that elk!

A coupla small corked and pegged brass tubes with preloaded powder charge to go along with the ball board, as well ... ?

And how 'bout a ball worm for those times we sorta scramble "powder, patch, ball" into "patch, ball, uh oh!" ... ?

Maybe add in a patch worm, too?

Also, perhaps a muzzle protector so's the crown don't git worn from all that ball ramming?

A flannel rag for cleaning up the lock, too.

Heck, go on and add in a few extra ramrods, while yer at it!

:bigsmile:

Online Butler Ford 40

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2020, 07:57:58 AM »
Don't forget a loaded ball board, for fast reloads whilst in hostile country, or a faster follow up shot on that elk!

A coupla small corked and pegged brass tubes with preloaded powder charge to go along with the ball board, as well ... ?

And how 'bout a ball worm for those times we sorta scramble "powder, patch, ball" into "patch, ball, uh oh!" ... ?

Also, perhaps a muzzle protector so's the crown don't git worn from all that ball ramming?

Maybe I should cut down that hickory tree in the yard, trim it up, split into staves, maybe trade staves (bow length and ramrod lengths) for trading material so's maybe I can get somebody else to make some of this stuff for me!

:hairy

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2020, 08:00:35 AM »

Maybe I should cut down that hickory tree in the yard, trim it up, split into staves, maybe trade staves (bow length and ramrod lengths) for trading material so's maybe I can get somebody else to make some of this stuff for me!

:hairy

I like yer thinkin'!!!  :bl th up    :shake

Online KDubs

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2020, 09:12:45 AM »
 all right, you guys gotta stop.
 my head is swimming with all the ideas and thoughts of the things i can make.
 and dammit i still want a fowler....
kevin
TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Online Butler Ford 40

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2020, 09:22:21 AM »
There ya go Kevin!  fowlers are a lot of fun!  I had to slap all the pieces together on mine and shoot it a few times before I ever started proper fitting and finishing! 

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2020, 09:52:01 AM »
If ya really want to at least attempt to experience the 18th century, ya need a smoothbore, preferably a fowler (.62 is nice) or a smooth rifle (.50 or so). 

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]