Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Great Plains Rifle  (Read 2281 times)

Offline Rocklock

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Great Plains Rifle
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2015, 12:20:47 PM »
Skinner has a Thompson Center sight  skinnersights dot com
Ain't nothin' hard if ya have the right equipment AND know how to use it.  :lt th

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2015, 05:27:59 AM »
pardon for resurrecting a slightly old thread.

peep sights are **SO** much more consistently accurate than u/post sights, but perhaps not so good for early 18th century warfare where there was little aiming required of the weapon of the day - the smoothbore.  buffalo hunters of the early to mid 19th century used them on both cap and flint lock rifles to down far off plains bison.  moving from caplocks to bpcr long guns, the simple peep got a major upgrade with vernier tang and soule windage, and then a hooded front globe.

Offline Geezer in NH

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2015, 04:53:01 PM »
For most competition they use the NMLRA rules. They don't make sense at times to me.

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2015, 10:35:41 PM »
Quote from: "cyotewa"
Don't know why peeps can't be used, they were invented and used 15 centuries before gunpowder. Guess that wasn't primitive enough;-)
I'd be interested in seeing some pictures, of peep sights that were invented and used on rifles 15 centuries before gunpowder.  :hairy
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Semisane

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2015, 11:00:15 PM »
Well, maybe not 15 centuries  ;) , but some early crossbows (before gunpowder) had peep sights.
Bad things happen for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you did something stupid.

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2015, 12:53:48 AM »
Until I see peep sights actually documented as being used on early "muzzleloaders", I will remain skeptical of such an idea.  :rt th

If peep sights can be readily documented on ancient crossbows,... I would think it should be even easier to document "peeps" on early muzzleloaders.
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Semisane

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2015, 09:45:24 AM »
Bad things happen for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you did something stupid.

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2015, 11:54:56 AM »
Percussion half-stocked Hawkens are hardly considered "early muzzleloaders",... but despite that, the rifles pictured (though likely made around very late-1830's, or even 1850's),.... the aperture sight's "origin" is much more likely to be a decade or two after the rifle was made (which would place the sight's date somewhere around 1850's-1860's), much past the "pre-1840" cut-off date used for NMLRA competition.

I'd gladly like to see earlier dates documented, as I like aperture sights myself.  :rt th
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6