Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Another Antler Powder Measure  (Read 1602 times)

Offline Shawnee Mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2010, 10:31:35 AM »
Osayo LRB,
Would you be able to turn a horn loading tip for my fowler?

We were talking about the PC-ness of 18th century antler chargers.  Do you know of any documentation of their use in the 18th century? To me, its common sense, but others want a hard document.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Offline LRB

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2010, 06:07:21 PM »
I have never turned horn. Antler either for that matter. I might be willing to try. Are you describing a measure or a ramrod tip?
   I have been reading some postings on this PC thing with antler measures. First time I have heard question of the practice. I have no idea myself. I cannot imagine them not being used, but if measures were used commonly, I would have to think anything that do the job might have been used. Antler measures are found in nearly any 18th c. accoutrement collection, but that gives no actual proof I guess. I just choose to ignore the entire controversy. I certainly will not stop useing mine.

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 03:22:22 PM »
LRB,I agree wholeheartedly! I have never givin' in to the p/c police ever and never will. When it comes to natural materials, they will not last long if not in a museum setting. I once left my kit in the shed for a couple of weeks after deer season and the first thing chewed on by the mice was my antler measure,and I'm sure mine wasn't the first! We do need to common sense in our lifestyle,and I ignore those who like to brag about their "knowledge" of the stuff we use.
NRA life member
NMLRA