Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: A small, but very nice bag.  (Read 853 times)

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
A small, but very nice bag.
« on: July 02, 2017, 04:43:22 PM »
AMM1851, I know you're thing about making a new shooting bag and I thought I would throw this out for you to consider.

The following bag was gifted me by our own John Shorb (Bigsmoke) six or eight years back...I told him I had never owned a "nice" bag, in fact, nothing other than the old one I had made myself back in the 70's, which is kinda okay, but nothing fancy. Just plain Jane utility.

This little bag is only 7.5" x 7" (about the size of a "belt-bag") and it is compartmentalized John's description, not mine...John likes to use big guns and big words, and he's pretty good at both.....lol)

The little red ball at the bottom of the flap is the neatest thing I have come across in a long time.
It is about 2 ounces in weight and flattened on one side.
Its purpose is obviously to hold the flap down, yet still have the flap and the contents of the bag readily accessible.
The Powder Horn, made by our own Griz, is anchored on the straps with sliced antler buttons, and hangs about 1/2" above the flap...so it's never in the way when reaching inside the bag.
Also, this little bag is "double gusseted" meaning, it's like two bags, sewn together at the top.
Don't know why that is unless, it's that way to help separated the two inner pockets when reaching inside to get your other "stuff". I simply don't know.

If John Shorb should see this he might be able to enlighten us a bit as to the reason for "two" bags acting as one.

Anyway, I hope this gives you some ideas in building your own new bag.
(Forgive me for the dust that shows up in some of the pictures.
Normally this Flintlock and Bag hang on the wall with some other memorabilia, and I didn't take the time to wipe 'em down and clean 'em up.)

Notice the red ball, it works like a charm in keeping the flap closed without a "button".

The "compartments" inside the bag includes a small cut-away compartment for flints or caps.
This feature is really neat, having that thick curved portion, very easy to find small things inside without having to look in the bag.

And then there is the "Double Pouch" itself.
A feature I have never seen on another bag and I would appreciate someone explain it's function.
In my heart I know it is that way for a purpose, this entire bag was built by a very knowledgeable person, and it was not built that way just because the builder had some extra leather.
Double gusseted, with about 1.5" gussets each side, obviously for expansion, both beautifully sewn, but why two?

Uncle Russ...

It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
Re: A small, but very nice bag.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 05:41:32 PM »
Now that is a very cool bag.  I've made two bags, myself, and they were all rather small, especially the first one.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline amm1851

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 06:03:42 PM »
Thanks for sharing those pictures of that fantastic little shooting pouch,  Uncle Russ!  The last bag I finished I patterned after one of the Leatherman bags I admired, and I  have turned it into my trade gun bag, as it is good sized and I  always seem to have more stuff for the trade gun than the rifle.  I guess that is a testament to the versatility of the trade gun.  For my new rifle pouch, I am definitely leaning toward a simple, medium sized bag, similar to the one you so thoughtfully  shared with us. Thanks again!  :bl th up
Life member, National Rifle Association
Molon labe

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 07:17:48 PM »
Heck, Russ, I dunno.  I guess I didn't tell you the story behind the bag.  Actually I found it on the freeway.  I was following a tractor/trailer down the road and darned if he didn't run right over it.  The darned thing flew up into the air and landed right square on my hood.  Glad it didn't hit my windshield, as it would have probably taken it out.  I tried to sell it several times but no one would buy it, so I figured if I gave it away, someone would keep it.  It worked.
Ain't buying that, huh?
OK, I was just kidding.  But it was a fun story, eh?
Personally, I have never seen the function or allure of double pouches, but lots of folks like them.  Most of them seem a bit small for me, as my hand gets hung up reaching in to retrieve stuff.  The two gussets are of course to give some depth to the pouches.  Else they would be real difficult to work with.
Never was quite sure what that thingie is on the flap.  Kinda neat, though.  It gives a feeling of age to the pouch, though.
Whoever it was that put that pouch together did do a fine job.  I was always impressed with the craftsmanship.
I think you got that longer ago than 6 or 7 years ago, as we left Idaho 11 years ago and I recollect it was longer ago than that when you became the proud owner of it.  I'd say 13 or 14 years ago would be closer to the time.
John
PS  Glad you like it.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life