Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Finish over scrimshaw  (Read 1040 times)

Offline Tater73

• TMA Forum Member
Finish over scrimshaw
« on: July 27, 2017, 12:41:12 PM »
Good morning,
I just finished my first horn work. Thought I'd start with some scrap prices and make a salt horn. I scrimped an S on it and wondered what you all used to protect the ink. Is there something I need to buff over it? Thanks for your help.

Tater73

Offline Ironhand

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Supporting Member # 664, Expiration 5/4/2019
Re: Finish over scrimshaw
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 01:58:59 PM »
Beeswax on a cloth dremel polishing head or just on a cloth with lots of rubbing.

IronHand
Place your clothes and your weapons where you can find them in the dark.

Lazarus Long

Offline Tater73

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 06:12:28 PM »
Thanks

Offline Roaddog

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Paid Member # 247 Expires 3/15 / 2019
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 11:17:38 AM »
Tater the folks over on the hornersbench.com are using Renaissance wax.It keeps the scrim from fading as much.I got mine at Amazon. Befor that I used Johnsons paist wax.
Ya do some nice work ther my friend. :bl th up
Minnesota TMA State Representative

Member #247

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 03:41:25 PM »
Tater the folks over on the hornersbench.com are using Renaissance wax.It keeps the scrim from fading as much.I got mine at Amazon. Befor that I used Johnsons paist wax.
Ya do some nice work ther my friend. :bl th up

Don, I have a Buffalo Horn that I'm anxious to give that Renaissance Wax a try on, although it's plain, no schrim.

I don't want to hijack this thread but......Years back, when I first got the Buffalo Horn, I was told by the maker to only use a very light coating of Bees Wax.....NOTHING ELSE! He really made an effort to point that out, and I have often wondered about that ever since.....but I've never asked.

On all my other horns I have been using plain ol' Johnson Paste Wax for years, and I honestly think that has been the right thing to do.

Still yet, just about every body that owns a Powder Horn knows more about Powder Horns than I do, so I'm prone to listening to what they have to say, and so far I haven't put Johnsons on the Buff Horn.....but I'm quite sure I need to put "something" on it, as it only stands to reason.

With a little luck, some of the more knowledgeable will chime in here and offer their perspective.

Tater, you did a really fine job on the letter "S" IMHO.
 :hairy

Uncle Russ...

It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 04:45:14 PM »
Woof, it looks like I should wax my old powder horn.  It's been with me for 30 years now, maybe it's time, ya think?   :laffing :laffing :laffing

~WH~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 06:56:55 PM »
I don't know about that, WH.  I have a horn that I made about 15 years ago that is my go to horn, and I haven't done a thing to it since I made it, except fill it with powder and empty it one shot at t time.  Still looks like new.
When I finished it, I gave it a good polishing then a coat of MinWax and it was good to go.  Still is.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 05:47:30 PM »
Yeha, mine is a the cheapie I picked up just so I could try using one.  Right off the bat the wood stopper broke off and I used a twig for a while.  Then I got a brass spout for it from Dixie, and also a brass screw in plug for the butt.  Epoxied them in place and it's worked well for me since.  The finish is whatever was on there when I bought it.  I made a strap from scrap garment leather I used to make a cover for my rifle, rather than the thong which came with it.

~WH~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025