Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: A few Leather Goods from a Friend  (Read 1071 times)

Offline Idaholewis

• TMA Forum Member
A few Leather Goods from a Friend
« on: September 24, 2019, 12:43:47 PM »
I met a Fella in Missouri Through a Forum, he and I quickly became friends, i casted him up a Box of my Best 50 Cal Bullets. A few weeks later I Recieved this in the Mail

He does AWESOME Wet Molded leather work! This little setup is SUPER SLICK Handy!! Everything i need right here. If I can’t get the Job done with 1 of my Bullet Sidelocks in 3 Shots, i had better take up another Hobby  :) My Friend did an AWESOME Job on this, well thought out for the Minimalist  :bl th up

“Absolutely nothing is good enough if it can be made better. And better is never good enough if it can be made best." Author Unknown

Offline Idaholewis

• TMA Forum Member
Re: A few Leather Goods from a Friend
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 12:51:29 PM »
After sending me the above, I started dabbling some in Patched Roundball, i came up with an idea that i needed a Wet Molded leather Ball Pouch, and i knew just the Guy  :) 

A piece of Copper Tube in the Spout for Ruggedness, With a Piece of Deer Antler as the Stopper. I believe this is the way they did them period? I know i have read it, seems like October Country?
“Absolutely nothing is good enough if it can be made better. And better is never good enough if it can be made best." Author Unknown

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 06:22:57 PM »
Soon after I bought October Country way back when, I looked at the molded ball flask, said gee, that ain't ever gonna fly.  Next catalog is not gonna have it in it.  Then I got an order for a dozen from Track.  I immediately re-evaluated my opinion.  The original did go through a few design changes, but pretty much held true.  In the years since, i have no idea about how many of those things i made.  I did expand the market by making both Irish and English shot pouches.  Not sure if I would still make those, as the cost of the shot heads has surely gone up.
IDLewis, your friend surely does make a nice clean design.  I'd say that is a real keeper.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Spotted Bull

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 08:05:56 PM »
Beautiful molded leather work. That's something I need to work on.

Offline Idaholewis

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 08:07:11 PM »
Soon after I bought October Country way back when, I looked at the molded ball flask, said gee, that ain't ever gonna fly.  Next catalog is not gonna have it in it.  Then I got an order for a dozen from Track.  I immediately re-evaluated my opinion.  The original did go through a few design changes, but pretty much held true.  In the years since, i have no idea about how many of those things i made.  I did expand the market by making both Irish and English shot pouches.  Not sure if I would still make those, as the cost of the shot heads has surely gone up.
IDLewis, your friend surely does make a nice clean design.  I'd say that is a real keeper.
John

I believe the Guy that owns October Country Now is named John also? I have purchased a few things from them, I have 2 Solid Brass Range Rods that they made for me, a 3/8” and smaller 1/4” That I use a lot, especially Loading Tight Patched Roundball at my Bench, you can send a TIGHT Ball/Patch Combo down the Bore with ease using these Solid Brass Rods  :bl th up I have bought Quite a few other Small odds n ends from them. Buffalo Arms is definitely my “Go To” Place Though, I get my Powder there, and with me being more of a Bullet Guy BACO has most everything i need, and LOTS of stuff that I don’t, or Shouldn’t  :laffing

In your Signature i see a CDA (Coeur d'Alene) Muzzleloader Group Lifetime member? Do you know if they get together and Shoot Down that Way? I know there is a shooting range called Farragut, i have never been to it, But I know where it’s at, how to get there.

Online Bigsmoke

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 11:26:15 AM »
Lewis,
Yes, John M(can't spell his last name) is the owner.  I made lots and lots of the brass range rods and brass undergun rods as well.  Frankly, I kinda miss working with the brass rods.  They were fun to play with.
RE:  The Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders.  They have been in existence since 1977.  Good group of guys.  A lot of people are new since I last was an active member.  I honestly do not recollect when their monthly shoot is, on a Sunday, I think.  For weather related reasons, I believe their last shoot of the year is in September and then they start up again in April.  And I could be off on that, it could be in October but with hunting season, I really doubt that.  And yes, the shoot is at Farragut and the park has been slightly changed now so that you do not have to go through the main gate to get to the shooting range.  Instead of turning off the roundabout to go into the park, now you continue around it a little more then turn off towards Bayview, then go on that road maybe a mile and turn right there.  Saves you park admission fees.  Matches are varied.  Sometimes they will be 10 ring paper targets, sometimes they will be paper novelty and other times they will be silhouettes.  I think the club has two full sets of NMLRA silhouettes.  IIRC, all the matches are shot offhand and with open iron sights and patched round ball.  I think, it's been a good while since I shot with them.
The club has a rendezvous once a year in June held in Blanchard, I believe it is.  I try to make it up every couple of years for that.   Feels like I am getting due to head up there again.  Need my pine pollen fix, doncha know?
Hope if and when I do get up there that we will have a chance to meet up and share a cuppa.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life

Offline Idaholewis

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 12:39:14 PM »
Thank you for the Great info John!! I will make Contact with the Group, i found them online  :bl th up I know I would enjoy the Roundball Shoots.

That cuppa sounds REALLY GOOD! We will keep in touch  :bl th up Blanchard is only 15-20 Minutes south of me, I have seen signs about Rendezvous, and ads in our Paper, I believe they hold it on Mr. Poier’s Land? 99.9% sure they do. I will check in to it more.

These Solid Brass Range Rods From October Country Simply CANNOT be beat for Target/Bench Loading a TIGHT Patch/Ball Combo, No need to Pound, Just Short Start, And easily send to the Powder with a Steady Push, i can even hear the Powder Crunch  :) It’s AMAZING the Power/leverage You get with a Solid Brass Rod like these. I love mine!  :bl th up

Online Bigsmoke

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2019, 01:40:06 PM »
Lewis, there is also a club in Sandpoint as well.  I think they are called the Sandpoint Free Trappers.  IIRC, they shoot monthly on Wrenco Loop, maybe halfway between Sandpoint and Priest River.  They are another good group of guys.  If they are still using that range, it is fantastic for a woods walk.  Lots of challenging targets at varying ranges.
And last but not least, Down in Moscow is another group.  Their rendezvous is always on Father's Day weekend.  Their club is called the Hog Heaven Muzzleloaders.  No idea about their monthly shoots.
That's about all I can recollect about the various clubs in North Idaho.
John

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life