Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Plug Loss Prevention  (Read 1069 times)

Offline Mad Irish Jack

• TMA Contributing Member
    • Rangers of the Ohio Company
  • TMA Member: Tma Member #796
Plug Loss Prevention
« on: January 13, 2020, 02:38:01 PM »
A preventable happening that frustrates us all. We unplug the bag, horn, (whatever) holding the bag or horn and proceed its' function. In the process the plug flops out of our grip and sometimes is lost. Dropping a plug from the horn, ball bag, etc is a major frustrating event. Here are a couple of my solutions. I wrap the bag neck with three strands of linen thread where applicable. One thread strand in one direction, two in the opposite. When wrapped well, I tie them off snugly. I use enough strand length to have at least 10" left. I braid those three like a pony tail. When at the end I feed it into a leather workers needle. I drill an appropriate size hole for the braid diameter, through the thickest part of the plug. Feed the needle through. Remove the needle and tie a couple or three overhand knots at the braids end making 1 large knot. This prevents the braid from slipping back through the plug. Large plugs I drill top to bottom and put the leather or braid through the top and tie it so it is inside on the bottom of the plug. (See Pics)
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
   The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: Plug Loss Prevention
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 03:15:26 PM »
I pretty much plug every powder and priming horn in this way, as well as my shot pouch.

:hairy
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Rocklock

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 05:41:00 PM »
I just pull the plug w my teeth and reverse the procedure. No lost or dropped plugs yet.
Ain't nothin' hard if ya have the right equipment AND know how to use it.  :lt th

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 07:43:14 PM »
I just pull the plug w my teeth and reverse the procedure. No lost or dropped plugs yet.

And a good practice for sure as you know that plug is going back in the horn...  :bl th up

I think the original poster was referring mostly about the possibility of loosing a horn plug somewhere along the line while carrying the horn...   :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska