Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: 17th Century Horn Question  (Read 1029 times)

Offline Reactor

• TMA Forum Member
17th Century Horn Question
« on: March 29, 2020, 05:08:49 PM »
I purchased a humongous horn and I now need some help on the correct style of horn for the 17th century.  I want to carve a fish mouth horn but I'm not sure that is historically correct.  Is this O.K. or should i just copy a previous F&I engrailed horn?

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
Re: 17th Century Horn Question
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 06:17:37 PM »
I'd play it safe and go with the engrailed horn.
I think the fish mouth is a little later style.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 08:05:02 PM »
17th century (if that's what you mean, the 1600's, but i think you really mean the 1700's) and even 18th century powder horns were quite subjective, there were MANY variations from very rustic super simple to highly ornamented and engraved.  all will be "hysterically correct", it just matters if you have a need for a specific horn type due to reenactment persona or era or or just for personal aesthetic satisfaction.

Offline Reactor

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 07:15:34 PM »
Thank you for your replies.  I did mean the 1600s.  I'm looking for a horn style that would accompany a fowler during this time period. 

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 07:27:10 PM »
A horn to mate with what 17th century flinter?  If yer that much interested in being period/era correct, you would do best to research and the 'Net will yield you some good scoop.  I think you'll find that flasks of wood and/or leather, tin, copper, etc, were more in 17th century vogue than horns, and nothing like you'd find in Colonial or F&I times.  Fire up that search engine! 

https://www.pinterest.com/lukeknowlton/bandoleers-and-powder-flasks-late-16th-to-early-17/

https://www.nps.gov/vafo/learn/historyculture/upload/PowderHorns-with-arrowhead.pdf