Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Does it hurt to use gun oil on the bore of a Muzzleloader?  (Read 1486 times)

Offline Bruce Bogart

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2009, 11:52:28 PM »
Petro or nonPetro, just make sure you store muzzle down so you don't stain your stock or buttplate. You all know what I mean.
Bruce

Offline rickevans

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Supporting Member #232 ....... Expires 7/5/19
  • TMA Member: 232
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2009, 09:45:08 AM »
I too would like to know why Bore Butter (after just buying a tube of it...) is not well liked among this community?
R. C. (Rick) Evans
TMA# 232 Expires 7/5/22
Honorable Company of Horners
Contemporary Longrifle Association
Life Member NRA

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2009, 04:35:45 PM »
basicly becouse it dries out .
 it also leaves a nasty  layer in the bore that takes for ever to clean out  while at the same time doing a poor job of protecting the bore

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 09:15:23 AM »
OK, I'm still wet behind the ears: I have been using bore butter inside my custom guns cause that is what is on the shelf at Wall Mart and most local gun shops for MLers. What is wrong with bore butter as a protectant after cleaning? I will gladly switch to something else but I would like to know what the ill effects of bore butter are. I use pre lubed patches from TOW and my accuracy is incredible so I am not messing with that patch lube issue since I got something that works really well. However the bore butter issue is really making me wonder. Help a newbie out and explain the bore butter thing. :-)

Offline sse

• TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2009, 09:24:48 AM »
I've been using it for a long time, but I have to say recently, I've been seeing a bit of orange when I go to clean up the residue before going to the range.

For those that use a petroleum based product, or anything else for that matter, in which you need to clean the stuff out before shooting, what product and what method do you use to clean out the bore?  Thanks.
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Offline Bruce Bogart

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2009, 12:19:17 PM »
I use simple green and water. Dry with a couple patches, then use some alcohol to dry, followed by either Ballistol or Marvels Mystery Oil (my preference). The MMO doen't smell like stinky feet  :P
Bruce

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Member: Charter Member #20
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2009, 12:47:34 PM »
I am starting to wander from bore butter... I don't think it is rust, but I hate pulling brown patches out of my bore... Get it "really clean", then take a ballistol soaked patch and it pulls more brown out...

If I have been shooting a lot, I normally do the hot water in a bucket thing, sometimes with just a touch of soap...

If I've just fired a shot or two, I like Bruce's method of diluted simple green followed by denatured alcohol, then ballistol.

Always hit it with the alcohol before loading...
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!