Traditional Firearms > Cap and Ball Revolvers

Snake loads in a C/B revolver?

<< < (2/4) > >>

FG1:
Kermit , I dont see why you couldnt use a wonder wad with the same weight of #9 shot as the ball/bullet or perhaps a little more seeing how it wont build the same pressure as a ball as theres less resistance and a over shot card from tablet backing type material or thicker .
 I would check other chambers in cylinder to make sure the charge was still seated before firing though after firing the next shot.

quigleysharps4570:

--- Quote from: "Three Hawks" ---the slithery ones try to avoid us.  That's why they rattle.  
--- End quote ---

The ones that bite the barefoot kids around here don't rattle...copperheads. Vermin control...rattle or not...I'll kill every one I see.

Mule Brain:

--- Quote from: "Tin Type" ---I have a question about C/B revolvers.  Decades ago,I owned a Ruger New Old Army C/B .45 cal.  Stanless steel... OK, I fired it a lot in eastern WA.  I never had it missfire.  Is this luck? or ...  Are C/B pistols prone to misfire?
--- End quote ---

I don't think it is luck at all!

Keep the gun clean, and be sure the nipples are all clear! I have yet to have a misfire myself, and have much faith in them!

huntinguy:

--- Quote from: "Three Hawks" ---
Hear the buzz?  [size=150]STAND STILL ![/size] The snake will leave.  Why kill a perfectly good vermin control  officer unless you're going to eat him?

Three Hawks
--- End quote ---

Does that mean I wasted two perfectly good 20Gauge loads on rattle snakes that were chasing my dog? Those two snakes taught me that the critters can be very aggressive and that a snake can strike without being coiled.

Never tried shot in a CB revolver but in a single shot pistol it works ok. Just don't shoot far enough that the shot spins out like a doughnut.

Ironwood:
My experience with shot loads in a .44 caliber revolver have been less than my favorable.  To the point they are almost useless.  I was using #8 shot.  Smaller shot might preform better.  After 3 shots at close range at a water moccasin I changed to a bullet and dispatched the rascal.  Like Three Hawks, I've decided bullets are better.

Here in East Texas we don't have the Diamondback rattler.  However, we have one that might even be worse.  The Canebrake or Timber Rattler gets mighty big.  Most I've seen have a squirrel inside them.  

Of course the Canebrake rattler is consider an endangered species here in Texas and as such is protected.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version