Shooting Traditional Firearms and Weapons > General Interest

8/32 or 10/32 threads

<< < (2/3) > >>

david32cal:
also be watchful of ones with hollow thread shafts

Kermit:
I think TOTW still sells a gizmo that converts 8/32 to 10/32 and viceversa. I've got both.. you can screw them together to make a ramrod extension that's handy when cleaning.

Sneakon:
Interesting info.  A question that comes to my inexperienced mind is why is there two different thread sizes to begin with?  I would have thought that one size would have become the standard after some time.  Is one size more common than another?

Bigsmoke:
Sneakon,
I would guess that the majority of ramrods now are 10-32.  Most all the factory stuff is.   I know that of the hundreds and hundreds of  pounds of hardware that I have sold over the decades, the vast majority of it has been 10-32.  
Why two different sizes?  I think a lot of the early accessory stuff was pretty much all 8-32, then someone got a bright idea the 10-32 would be stronger, especially with brass threaded items.

Gambia:
Another consideration is that a 10/32 tap in a 1/4 inch rod doesn't leave much rod around the thread,1/32 or so,not a real husky joint.I make my own and even with a lathe or a drill press it takes more than a little care to get a no. 8 thread cut in a 1/4"rod where it belongs. With a steel ramrod like you have I would leave it alone and go with the no. 8 fittings.With reasonable care it will last longer than you will need it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version