Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: out-of-pouch  (Read 2175 times)

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
out-of-pouch
« on: September 16, 2017, 08:23:01 AM »
.40 rifle on the left ~ .54 rifle on the right

bags, horns, ball boards, patch knife handle, and fixed powder measures are all to blame on me. :)

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
Re: out-of-pouch
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 08:24:33 AM »
more stuff ...

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Offline Fyrstyk

• TMA Forum Member
  • "When your dumb, you gotta be tough"
  • TMA Member: Member #799
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 08:53:17 AM »
Seems like a lot of "dangly" things to get hung up in the brush, or are these setups for target shooting?

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 08:56:57 AM »
Seems like a lot of "dangly" things to get hung up in the brush, or are these setups for target shooting?

correct on both accounts - that's why the thread's title.

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 10:48:13 AM »
Good looking bags, Rob

For the past eight or ten years I have been a dedicated "out of the pouch" shooter.

When at the range I used to put a lot of stuff on the bench, or near the bench, then work off the bench.
I still take the Range Boxes, but about the only thing that gets laid on the bench any more is sometimes the ramrod....and then there's even times when I notice I put the ramrod on the bench and I will put back on the rifle, where it rightfully belongs.

Folks have always asked me the same question, "ain't that a lot of stuff to be hanging off you in the woods??"
The answer is no, not at all.
Not even in thickest Pacific Northwest woods. In fact, those "thick woods" is a very good reason to have things easily accessible, albeit I don't always carry a hawk when hunting, unless I'm Elk hunting, when a good stout Hawk or Axe is needed to bust that pelvis.

My favorite old hunting bag has "stuff" on the straps too, even a patch knife on the back of the bag, but that "patch knife" gets used for about everything from cutting patches to eating, while that flat horn lays perfectly on the flap of the bag.

After about 40 years of use, I wouldn't have it any other way....but that is just me.

I have other bags, and I've tried different things, as I'm sure all of us have.
But one seems to get that certain feeling when you come across that 'just right' combination. 
As with everything else in life, Your Mileage May Vary considerably depending on your own preference.

Uncle Russ...

It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 05:00:53 PM »
Uncle Russ, about the only "dangly" thing I see there which could be done away with is the ball starter.  I use the pommel of my knife to push the ball into the barrel, then it gets seated with the RR.  It sure looks weather worn compared to those beautiful bags Rob has, but that comes with age.  I'm sure you have a bunch of scratches and wrinkles which weren't there when you were a pup; I know I sure do.  I guess it adds character!  :lol sign

Here's mine.

~WH~

[ Invalid Attachment ]
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 09:05:01 AM »
I've thought about using the pommel of my knife to push the ball into the barrel, I see this done often. My problem is that I've loaded the same for over 40 years, I don't if I could make that transition... Wife says "I'm set in my ways..."  :P  :)
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Maven

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #778
  • TMA Member: Expiration date; 10/21/2021
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 06:40:30 PM »
All, Out-of-pouch reloading took a bit of getting used to for me.  I.e., I sometimes forgot to pack an item and then regret it later. :Doh!  Since I have both flintlocks and cap locks, with different pouches for each, I find it helps to make a checklist of "necessities"for each and  actually mark off the needed items :o before heading to the range or a woods walk.  You'd be surprised how many folks forget basic stuff like the proper size RB, patching, caps, nipple wrenches cleaning jags, etc.  A through list carefully followed saves a lot of time and embarrassment at a woods walk or possibly a missed shot or follow up when hunting.

Here's a pdf of the checklist I use for my flintlocks, both rifle (.54cal.) and trade gun (20ga.)  Feel free to use and/or modify it to your heart's content:

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 07:44:50 PM »
All, Out-of-pouch reloading took a bit of getting used to for me.  I.e., I sometimes forgot to pack an item and then regret it later. :Doh!  Since I have both flintlocks and cap locks, with different pouches for each, I find it helps to make a checklist of "necessities"for each and  actually mark off the needed items :o before heading to the range or a woods walk.  You'd be surprised how many folks forget basic stuff like the proper size RB, patching, caps, nipple wrenches cleaning jags, etc.  A through list carefully followed saves a lot of time and embarrassment at a woods walk or possibly a missed shot or follow up when hunting.

Here's a pdf of the checklist I use for my flintlocks, both rifle (.54cal.) and trade gun (20ga.)  Feel free to use and/or modify it to your heart's content:

Maven, that pdf check list is a good idea!  :bl th up

About the only time I will take my shooting box to the Range is when I have to zero a muzzleloader (like last Friday) 'cause it has my files and drift punches in it, and "supposedly" stocked up with patch and ball...  However, I fell short last Friday - I didn't have the .445 balls stocked in my shooting box (well I had 2), the others were .440's in the box. All my other .445 balls where in bullet blocks on my shooting bags, and setting in boxes on my work bench back in my shop.  It worked out for me however (I got lucky) as the rifle I had with me seemed to like the .440's... :bl th up 

Offline Maven

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #778
  • TMA Member: Expiration date; 10/21/2021
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 07:26:02 PM »
I've got everything in my range box but the kitchen sink, but it's sure heavy enough without it.  Which reminds me, I think it's time to remove some items from it....  As for the check list, I find it really works if you pay attention to it and fill your pouch accordingly.  Funny story about why you may need a list:  A well known local ML builder showed up at one of our woods walks several years ago, but soon discovered he had only enough powder for maybe 3 shots.  Needless to say, he left a bit early and chagrined even though powder was freely offered:  Maybe he forgot other stuff too?  Need I say more about a list?

Offline SharpStick

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: State Represenative, AZ
  • TMA Member: Membership #806 Expires 8/11/2021
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 08:27:50 PM »
I'm a greater appreciator of lists. After a gazillion camping trips  :*: with and without boy scouts I've developed a two page, small print list that I use on every trip. No more thinking about what I have that I might want to bring. I just go through the long list and cross off what I don't need on a particular trip then pack everything else. I've redone that list multiple times as equipment wears out or changes or I find another just-gotta-have-it item.

Anyone want to offer up a list for their range box?
And, since I've been thinking of constructing one for myself, pictures would be greatly appreciated?
Maybe even a pointer to a good design for a wooden range box.

To build a good range box with my limited BP experience, I need all the advice I can get.  :pray:
The trouble with doing things right the first time is no one realizes how hard it was.
Often, however, the following is more applicable.
I stand corrected, a position somewhat painful to achieve, but once there, is quite satisfying.

Posts starting 6/20/20 - 151
Posts ending  9/20/20 - (?)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 09:50:53 PM »
As handy as a Range Box is (when I properly stock mine) in all honesty, I truly prefer to load from my horn and pouch.  I just like the convenience of loading from the bag, and I like the feeling of the old history of it before - trains, planes, and automobiles. I just feel it gets me closer to the era of history I enjoy... Again, a Range Box is handy at times, but for the most part it's just not for me.  :shake

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 10:45:56 PM »
Joe,
I surely do agree with you.
Years ago, I put together a range box containing all sorts of plunder.  A couple of cans of different granulation powder, a spotting scope, different size round ball, patches of various thicknesses and diameters, spare nipples, jags and ball pullers in all the calibers I might need, and a whole lot of et cettera.  Then after I carried it to the range a couple of times, it wound up sitting in my garage forever.  Not for me, either.  What a waste of time, money and energy.  Went strictly to the pouch and horn and a spare can of powder and a spare box of RB carried in the car, and life was good.
I guess the range box is OK for those who want those sorts of things, but I'll pass.  And of course, YMMV!!!
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2017, 10:49:25 PM »
Joe,.... sounds like we do similar things. :bl th up

Fact is, since 1969 when I bought my first muzzleloader I've never owned/had a "range box" (per sae), just my shootin' bag and a haversack containing a few tools and sometimes a note pad and a pencil when I'm shootin' paper at my range.
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2017, 11:12:56 PM »
This is a great topic, with I think no absolute anwear.  The club I shoot with, changes the format every month but most always three diferent scenarios, rifle, pistol, hawk or tradegun, rifle, novelty, etc The woodswalk is always shot out of the bag even though we have small loading tables sporatically located throughout the woodswalk. And the novelties are a diferent area but still only have a  large wire spool as a table so most eveyone shoots out of the bag there too.
For me it is still evolving, I am about to cone a rifle with very strict testing before and after aiming to eliminate the short starter once and for all. :lol sign but it gives me a very high pucker factor thinking of doing all of my rifles coned.
The range box is mostly only for when I am shooting from a bench, testing loads, sighting in, etc but I do occasionally have it in the back seat of my truck in case I forget to put something in one of my bags, which like I said is ever evolving. 
I myself am always hesitant to have stuff dangling only for the reason I dont want to lose things that have sentimental value. So I ask the danglers, have you ever lost stuff, whether it be  because of brush stags, loose fitting of whatever.?
Also, I do need more horns and bags as I aim to have each for every long arm. Again, grtting closer :toast
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 11:14:46 PM by ridjrunr »
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21