Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: out-of-pouch  (Read 2171 times)

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
Re: out-of-pouch
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2017, 03:51:31 PM »
I once lost a nice little brass primer during a deer hunt.  Later got another same size and very similar.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2017, 04:05:48 PM »
if i lost my priming horn i'd have lost my powder horn.  :laffing

Online Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2017, 10:54:49 PM »
So on numerous occasions I have read where someone had their rifle, a bullet bag and powder horn.  Nothing about a pouch, shooting bag, haversack, or even the ubiquitous possibles bag.  And really, if you have a patch box on the rifle you don't need anything else.  With patches, a cleaning jag and/or worm, a spare flint and maybe a ball puller in the patch box, a bag of round balls on your belt or in your sash, and priming from the horn and you have everything to shoot and clean the rifle.  For a long sojourn in the wilderness a possibles bag would be handy, especially to carry your tinder box w/ striker and flint and whatever else you need to be comfortable, but probably not a necessity.

Even in the late 1800s Nesmuck trecked across several hundred miles of Michigan wilderness with his Billinghurst rifle, (IIRC) 6 cartridges which I assume would be paper holding powder and ball, and a small ruck sack for his hatchet, cooking gear etc.  I believe that's all he had; I'll have to reread my copy of Woodcraft to be sure.  Anyway, no pouch dedicated to servicing the rifle.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the pouch isn't necessary, and might even be a hindrance on a woods walk or even just a tramp in the woods looking for squirrels.  I know that I didn't have a shooting bag for years, just had a rag stuffed in my pants pocket for patching with a small bag of balls, and percussion caps in the cap box on the rifle.  It wasn't until I started shooting with the Forest Hills Black Powder Brigade that I bought the Tandy purse kit (which is still my shooting bag) since everyone else had one (shooting bag, not purse).

~WH~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025