Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: D. Fish?  (Read 364 times)

Offline LadyHawk

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Member #644 Expires 12/12/2019
D. Fish?
« on: October 20, 2012, 11:41:07 PM »
Not sure if anyone would know. I am going to an auction tomorrow that has a beauty of an old perc. made by a D. Fish. They say he was an Early New York gunsmith. Anyone have info?
Plus another old perc. by WM. KIRCHBERG
TMA Member Number 644, Expires 12/12/2019

Offline LadyHawk

• TMA Forum Member
Re: D. Fish?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 02:13:08 PM »
Did not make it to the auction. My son, that just got a cast of his arm, fell 15' out of a tree. What was he doing in the tree? Got me. I am changing his name to Crash!

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Membership #291, Expires 2/11/2019
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 04:49:25 PM »
I hope he suvived w/o further injury! What was his excuse for not wearing his safety harness? Oh well, fell out of my share of trees when I was younger than him, and I didn't have any  rational excuse either. ;)
Pa. TMA State Representative.[/color]
Member#291  2/11/19

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 10:44:55 PM »
Quote from: "LadyHawk"
Not sure if anyone would know. I am going to an auction tomorrow that has a beauty of an old perc. made by a D. Fish. They say he was an Early New York gunsmith. Anyone have info?
Plus another old perc. by WM. KIRCHBERG

LadyHawk, I found a wee bit of information on WM. Kirchberg, but even less on your D. Fish......

http://collectorebooks.com/jamesauction ... /31701.htm

"HALF-STOCK RIFLE. SN NSN. Very little information has been located regarding the gunsmith William M. Kirchberg other than he worked as a gunsmith in Philadelphia 1830-1842. This rifle, the only one known by the consignor to have survived, is obviously of high quality. The rifle has a 36" full oct 54 Cal rifled bbl signed "Wm KIRCHBERG PHILADa". The rifle has dbl set triggers, a checkered wrist, and a 5" engraved iron bbl tang. The rifle is all mounted in silver featuring a 7-1/2" long highly engraved rear ramrod ferrule, trigger guard, toe plate, side-opening patch box, and butt plate. The back action lock is nicely engraved and signed by the gunsmith, and the bbl is held to the stock with two bbl wedges. PROVENANCE: R. Gabel Collection. CONDITION: Rifle is complete and orig throughout, in very good condition showing only normal dings and scratches. Bore is clean but shows signs of pitting. .....Price $8,050.00

In "The List of Advertisers in the 1839 M’Elroy’s Philadelphia Directory"
A Wm. Kirchberg is listed as....manufacturer and importer of rifles, guns, pistols and hardware - 96 North Third Street.
http://www.pennsylvaniaresearch.com/1839adv.html

The only thing I could find on "D. Fish" is that there was a Daniel Fish of New York that was a Gunmaker.
Seems he specialized in Derringers, and Pocket Pistols, so this may not be the right person.

Good luck on your search......  :lt th  

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline LadyHawk

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 10:30:22 AM »
Quote from: "greyhunter"
I hope he suvived w/o further injury! What was his excuse for not wearing his safety harness? Oh well, fell out of my share of trees when I was younger than him, and I didn't have any  rational excuse either. ;)

Was not hunting. He was to be helping his father cut firewood, but he was goofing off in a tree! He is fine but moving slow!

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #20
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 12:03:24 PM »
Boys WILL be boys.... My 23-yr old did much the same recently - right after starting a new job! Broke his heel and had to go onto light duty....
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!