Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Black powder brands?  (Read 1033 times)

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 09:32:47 PM »
and with the halfwits we've got at the top of the food chain in Wash D.C. and most State capitols

And this just in yesterday.  It seems the idiots in the California assembly have produced a bill outlawing the carrying of unconcealed, unloaded firearms in public.  It is waiting for Arnie's autograph.  Wonder what else those suffering from cranial methane have in store for us.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline EvilTwin

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2010, 11:31:10 PM »
I have a decent supply of GOEX Express FFG. I use(d) it for my 45-110 Sharps. Best stuff I have used by far. Soft foul and nice and powerful. Tried it in my 62 fowler and soft fouling was still the name of the game.  Worth giving it a try.
I LOVE the smell of blackpowder in the morning! It smells like.....Victory!!

Offline brewyak

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 10:18:42 AM »
have been using the goex for a while, but recently picked up a couple pounds of swiss.  Now the goex is a back up powder.  The swiss doesn't foul as much as goex and you don't have to use quite as much.  And least that is what I have found out with my 54 cal finter oh yeah I use the FF

Offline James Kelly

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 262
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2010, 02:06:53 PM »
Likes & dislikes in powder are not all that different from opinions on good whiskey.
For what its worth, the du Pont mill in Moosic, Pennsylvania blew up about 1971. GOEX, by whatever name, bought it & began making powder. They changed the formula slightly, buy using well water rather than condensate from the old steam engine. Amazing what all lives in well water & what it eats. Learnt this from The Expert on black powder, Billm Knight a.k.a. Evil Ogre, Mad Monk, et alia.

"Moist burning" used to sound like rose fertilizer to me, but learned not so. The temperature to which the wood is heated to char it affects how much creosote remains in the charcoal. Disremember the proper temp, might be around 500C but good charcoal makers are careful about charring temperature. In turn, creosote is the only component of black gunpowder that makes water as part of the combustion process.
Me I like Swiss powder, it is hotter than my old duPont. Can't comment on the fouling. Never got around to GOEX. There is a cheap brand

If you find any decent powder, Swiss/GOEX/Schutzen, &c, I agree even in today's market that second mortgage idea isn't all bad.
if the ball is not rammed close on the powder. . .frequently cause the barrel to burst