The Center of Camp > The Campfire

"Flintlock Fowlers - The First Guns Made in American"

(1/1)

RobD:

I bought this 248 page, glossy heavy paper softcover book, written by Tom Grinslade, on a recommendation from Keb and others, and it has not disappointed.  The introduction and first three chapters delve into fowler/smoothbore origins, designs, ignition systems and usage within the period of times that range from the discovery of the Americas, to the American Colonial settlement period, and then through the conflict periods and on to the early 19th century.  The  subsequent chapters delve into great firearm details.  

There is no doubt that the unsung firearm hero of the 18th century is the smoothbore.  Call it by any other name: fowler or musket, this was the firearm that made America during its settlement and conflict periods, and not the rifle, who's heyday would emerge at the later part of the century.

All in all, a fine book that's just chock full of firearm details and history and a great addition to any traditional muzzleloading library.  :bl th up

rollingb:
Looks like a very interesting book.  

Voyageur:
Just found the book om Amazon $43.94 less taxes. Ordered today and it already shipped. I cannot wait as I have always wanted a fowler in my shooting collection of f/l's. Looks like a beautiful book. Thanks ........."Doc"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version